Where have you been? What have you seen?
By JWL
Background

Having been on a flying holiday in the States for a couple of weeks in May without the kids (trip report here viewtopic.php?f=67&t=100574 ), we had promised the kids that we’d take the summer off with them and fly round Europe. Sounds a bit grander than it is as ‘Europe’ actually means a fraction of France and Italy.

The idea was to have a family holiday that involved flying rather than a flying holiday, so go places and stay there for a while.

There is a lot of excellent information on Flyer and some very helpful formites so if you're planning a trip I’d urge you to tap into that knowledge. I hope that this real world explanation of our trip will be of use to others that are thinking about flying over to Europe. I know from my experience, it’s often the little details that more experienced pilots take for granted are the ones that us less experienced people can fret about.

The last time I flew to Europe was 10 years ago (I had an 8 year hiatus from flying), so I was very keen to get a full understanding of the process / procedures again, to that end I did a trip to Cherbourg with an instructor a few weeks before this trip.

The aircraft is a 2007 Cessna 182T with a G1000 glass cockpit. I bought it in November last year, but due to poor weather and being away, I had not really flown it much until March this year. Up until this trip I’d flown around 30 hours in her, so getting used to her but certainly not an expert. Although the G1000 is an amazing piece of kit with 2 x GPS inputs and redundancy across 2 screens, I also use Skydemon as a back up. I build my flight plans in Skydemon then save them onto an SD card and import them into the G1000 MFD.

I fly at 65% power which at 2000ft is a power setting of 21 / 23 and gives an IAS of 120-125knots (book says 127 but I rarely get it) and fuel burn of 11.5gph. I could fly it faster, but not being the best pilot in the world, I like having more time to anticipate what’s going to happen next and mentally plan for it.

Despite 182’s having the reputation, “if you can shut the doors, you can fly it ok”, the later models have got heavier. The useful load on this machine is 1063.5lbs and given me & the Mrs aren’t the lightest people in the world, weight and balance was a serious consideration given that we are going away for over a month with 2 kids.

The baggage area can take 200lbs of baggage, I told the Mrs she was limited to 100lbs knowing my wife as I do, she would push the boundaries!

As you can see below, there is a still a bit of weight left, however the flight to Cherbourg was only just over an hour and we needed to burn enough fuel on that flight to get below landing weight, so I elected to take 60 gallons. This is one to watch on shorter flights in a 182 where you are near gross weight - can you burn enough fuel to get the total weight below the landing weight? Max gross weight is 3100lbs, landing weight is a max of 2950lbs, so that’s 150lbs / 25 US gallons of fuel burn needed if taking off at gross weight.

We were only planning flights of 2.5 hours max, so 64 gallons (to tabs) would be sufficient fuel for us throughout the trip. I mentally plan at 15 gph inc taxing / power checks etc), it never uses this amount, however this provides some ‘fat’. Obviously with systems like Skydemon, you can be very accurate with fuel usage planning. Also the G1000 has a fuel totalizer which gives you an unbelievably accurate picture of how much fuel you have left onboard (assuming you remember to reset it when you fill up, which I often forget, need to add this to my checklist!)

Here is the initial weight and balance using the excellent Gyronimo app which I highly recommend (iPad only though, sadly not iPhone compatible)

Here is the ‘stuff’ we were cramming the plane with, you may notice white labels on the bags. I weighed each one and wrote the weight on a label so I could load the aircraft correctly. Although the luggage storage can take 200lbs, you can only have a maximum of 120lbs before the door catch and 80lbs aft of the door catch

Our packing:-

There is an excellent document produced by DaveW (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=107) which explains the paperwork and also has some French RT calls for those smaller airfields.

ATC / Flight Information is all in English unless it’s specified on the AIP plate (FR Only / FR Seulement)

If you don’t want to buy a liferaft, you can hire one for 12 months from SEMS Aerospace for around £300 (https://www.aerosafe.co.uk/acatalog/SALES.html). They also sell life jackets.

And don't forget to take the interception procedures printed off which is a requirement.

Monday 25th

Wycombe Air Park – Cherbourg
Cherbourg to Pons (LFCP)
Time logged 3:55

We originally planned to leave on the Sunday, but the weather in Cherbourg was not great, so we decided to set off on Monday instead.

On the Monday, the weather looked ok with lowest cloud base forecast at 1800ft along the route (around Nantes France). As we were flying out to a permanent customs field and not returning to the UK anytime soon, all we needed to do was file a flight plan an hour before we left. We did this via Skydemon which makes life so much easier. I am sure there are other apps out there that do similar, but I love Skydemon, it is so easy to use.

The route I had planned was WAP to WOD to MID through the Goodwood overhead, coasting out at Selsey Bill to Kotem to EC (a lighthouse - reporting point near Cherbourg) to Cherbourg

The flight was fairly straight forward, once out of Wycombe (with a very impressive climb rate of 900 ft / min at full power and near gross weight) I spoke to Farnborough Radar for a basic service and zone transit, I was at 1900 ft which is the highest I could get due to clouds. Farnborough asked me to climb to 2500ft but I declined as I needed to remain VMC. Apparently they had a Gulfstream inbound with an aileron problem and it would descending imminently. As I couldn’t climb, to maintain separation they asked me to route to the west of the field, so once past the Blackbushe ATZ, I turned West. I get the feeling on here that people are not fond of Farnborough, however I have always found them to be courteous and accommodating, and never had any issues with them (admittedly with limited experience).

Once near Midhurst (MID), I changed to Goodwood to ask for clearance through their ATZ (their ATZ goes to 2109ft ), they requested I climb to 2000ft as that’s the altitude that aircraft join the overhead, the cloud base had risen, so I managed to comply.

Once clear of their ATZ I called Plymouth Military as the route took us through the danger areas D037 and D038. There was no response. After 3 attempts, I called London Information for a basic service and status of the danger areas, by this time I was very close to entering D037 so I turned East to avoid entering with the back up plan of going East of D040 and avoiding the danger areas completely. London Information advised me to call Plymouth Military, I explained that I’d tried and failed, so the controller kindly called them on the phone. As we were turning to go past D040, I was advised the danger areas were inactive and I could transit through them. We then routed direct to Kotem as you can see from the Skydemon track below.

I note that on birdyboy’s recent cross channel trip he phoned Plymouth Military the day before his trip to check the status of the danger areas and planned the route accordingly. Note to self – be better prepared next time.

The eagle eyed amongst you will note my wobbly height above. As we approached WOD, I was told by her indoors that must be obeyed that we needed to turn back and fly over Hambleden as my wife's family live there and happened to be in garden. So we turned back and did a few orbits to wave to them.

When we flew, you could make out a horizon (just), but you can really see how people get disorientated over the channel, it does sometimes appear to merge into one, although this picture seems to make out the horizon a lot better than the naked eye did on the day:-

At Kotem we spoke to Cherbourg and they asked us to report November. I asked if I could route via EC with a possible straight in for 28. They said that was ok and to report EC then MP (NDB). Once I reported MP, they asked me to report short finals.

Cherbourg reporting points:-

We landed without incident and I asked the tower to close my flight plan, to which they responded “we don’t need to do that, we only call them if you don’t arrive”. I note on birdyboy’s recent Dinard trip he talks about closing his flight plan when back in the UK and also there was a recent thread about the phone number to close the flight plan from the French side. From what I have experienced recently, it appears that you don’t need to close your flight plan. Need to do more research on this issue.

One other point, we didn’t have to show any aircraft documents as we got set up on the Cherbourg system when I went to Cherbourg with the instructor a few weeks ago. Once they have seen your aircraft documents once, then you don’t need to show them again. On the first trip they asked for Certificate of Registration, Airworthiness Certificate, Insurance Certificate, and Pilots Licence. For the avoidance of doubt, there was no request for proof of VAT payment (this is a G reg aircraft for the record)

On this trip they just wanted to see our passports.

We had lunch and fuelled up (need an Air Total card, it's self service) to 64 gallons at Cherbourg then headed to Pons. Again this was a very simple flight routing via Villedieu-les-Poeles – ANG (VOR) – LP (NDB) and Pons (LFCP)

After the take off we routed south at 2000ft (cloud base was 2100) and after Cherbourg we called Deauville information for a Flight Information Service. They don’t have Basic / Traffic service etc in Europe, so it’s good old fashioned FIS. We didn’t see one other aircraft on the entire flight, it’s amazing how quiet France is, it’s so much less workload than the South East of England that’s for sure. Although the landscape is not very interesting, a few chateaus to look at, but mainly rural green fields. We did hear a few other aircraft talking to the controller, some English voices and 1 French whose call sign was “Shaggy Fox” – how do I get a call sign like that??!!

The French controllers speak excellent English and are very helpful, although mainly I was given a frequency and asked to freecall the next service rather than being handed over (as you would be in the US). The frequencies are also on the French maps and of course printed on the Skydemon PLOG to make life really easy.

The only potential issues on this flight were the transit through some low level restricted areas and a Notamed extended TMA / CTRat La Rochelle.

Firstly we as we passed Villedieu I asked if R149F and R149E were active. The controller called the military then came back to advise they weren’t active and we could transit at our discretion. My back up plan was to climb through a gap in the clouds and fly VFR on top over the low level corridor. The map helpfully gives you the max altitude as it’s quite difficult to tell the exact altitude as the corridor is AGL and the ground isn’t flat.

This shows the low level corridor in Skydemon:-

We got to ANG and then the next low level corridor was R149D, the controller knew it was inactive and advised we could transit at our discretion. I was very lucky with this as the sky had become overcast at 2000 so I wouldn’t have been able to climb over it. My options would have been to fly back the way I came, go through the inactive areas and fly the long way round, or fly underneath it at 500ft agl – France appears to be mainly farmers fields, so this would have been legal even if not my preferred choice. The low level corridor starts at 800agl.

South of that, the only other thing to impact out flight was a Notam extended the La Rochelle CTR & TMA for 34nm from 23/7 – 31/7. As we approached I was speaking to Nantes Information, they called La Rochelle on the phone to see if they could clear me through but couldn’t get through so asked me to freecall La Rochelle. By this time we were nearly in the Notamed zone, so we orbited until we could speak to a La Rochelle. They immediately try to pass me to Poitiers Information, I explained the Notam and I needed them to clear me. He didn’t seem to know about it which was a worry but said I could continue direct track to Pons once he’d identified me on the radar.

See track log:-

As we got further South he advised me to contact Cognac which we did and advised them that we would descend under their zone to Pons (their airspace starts at 1500 above Pons).

As we had the field in sight, I switched to the Pons Safetycom (unmanned) and used my best Franglais to advise others of my position. I went into the overhead at 1400ft (circuit is at 900 QNH) to look at the wind sock. I’d already asked Cognac (the nearest ATC airfield to Pons) what the wind was doing there (280 / 9) so was expecting runway 31 at Pons, however wanted to be sure. The windsock was hard to spot, but after the 2nd orbit, my wife saw it and confirmed runway 31, we descended deadside and landed on 31.

Just one thing worth discussing is how to approach an unmanned airfield when you don’t know what runway is in use and each runway circuit is in a different direction. We approached from the North, so runway 31 would be a right hand circuit (keep airfield on right) and 13 is left hand (keep airfield on left). No idea if this was the right technique but given I expected runway 31, I went into a right hand orbit. If it transpired that runway 13 was in use, I planned to leave the airfield overhead, turn around then approach with the airfield on the left and do left turns. I hope that makes sense, if anyone more experienced is reading this, I’d welcome their thoughts on how they would approach this.

I reread the Notam after I landed, and realised that I’d read it incorrectly. The Notam was about the hours of operation of the CTR / TMA, it wasn’t extending the CTR / TMA at all. Because I’d seen it visually displayed on Skydemon as a red circle, my brain had computed it incorrectly. Massive lesson here, reread the Notams before take off and ensure they are fully understood, Skydemon is amazing as depicting Notams on your route, but on this occasion my brain had got it wrong, luckily no harm done except to my ego. To be clear I had read the Notams before take off, just misinterpreted this one. I say 'just' but I don't want to trivialise it.

The flight was mainly uneventful, although I’m not sure what my daughter is saying about my flying ability as she fell asleep clutching a sick back!

This was a great learning experience, reminding me that it doesn’t have to difficult to fly to and in France, and also having a mental back up plan if you don’t get the clearance in time for the airspace and ofcourse, read then reread the Notams!

We’re now spending a few days in the Charente Maritime area and plan to fly to Venice on Friday, so next planned update at the weekend.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Enjoyed reading that, thanks!

Were you aware that you can see for the day which low level military areas will be active or not? It's on the SIA website under "AZBA charts".

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_uk.asp?m=39

Regarding NOTAMs, yes, the "red circle" is just the circle of influence, i.e. if you plan to fly within x miles of it (your chosen distance on the narrow route brief) then it'll tell you about it, otherwise it won't. It's not the dimensions of anything else. But I guess you know that now. :D

Oh, and they've put out a NOTAM now for the Plymouth Mil stuff :D :

Q) EGTT/QCAAS/IV/B/E/000/100/5034N00227W040
B) FROM: 16/07/26 07:00C) TO: 16/07/29 13:00
E) PLYMOUTH MILITARY RADAR VHF FREQ 124.150MHZ UNAVAILABLE EAST OF AWY
N862/N864. LOWER AIRSPACE RADAR SER AND DANGER AREA CROSSING SERVICE
REMAINS AVAILABLE ON FREQ 370.850MHZ ONLY. PILOTS WITH VHF RADIO
ONLY SHOULD CALL LONDON INFO ON 124.750MHZ FOR DANGER AREA ACTIVITY
INFORMATION SERVICE.
JWL liked this
By JWL
Thanks Paul, appreciate you taking the time to address these issues, especially the link to the SIA site. I didn't know that, and it's very useful. I'm currently planning my route from Pons to Cannes for Friday and this will help immensely. That's why I love Flyer, it's little things like this that make a big difference.

What are your thoughts on the unmanned field approach? Did I have it about right?

Thanks
By JWL
Thursday 28th

Pons - Pons
Time logged 00:40

I met a chap who has a holiday home in the area and owns a flex wing microlight based in Yorkshire. I offered to take him and his son for a quick local flight as he was thinking of buying into a fixed wing syndicate alongside his microlight. We flew over my folk’s house and his house in the nearby villages to Pons. He doesn’t reckon fixed wing is as exciting as a flex wing, but he was impressed by the speed things happen (his cruise on the microlight is apparently 65mph).

Fuel is available in Pons but as the airfield is not manned during the week you need to arrange to meet a key holder onsite at a specified time. These guys have day jobs, but we met an instructor at 6pm after he finished work who turned the fuel pump on for us. You need to pay in cash or French cheque. I won’t publish it on a public forum but if anyone needs his number to arrange fuel, please drop me a line.

Pons airfield:-

Friday 29th

Pons – Carcassonne
Carcassonne – Cannes
Time logged 3:05

The planning of this part of the trip filled me with dread. I had decided I didn’t want to fly ‘through’ the Alps using the GAFOR routes without having done it with someone more experienced first. For me, it felt like a level of risk I didn’t want / need to take, and I also felt that the low level route around the south of France would give me a better chance of success with the weather forecasted.

I would like say a big thank you to all the contributors of this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100966&p=1472432#p1472432 who helped me with the route and especially to Iceman and Skydriller. Skydriller sent me his PLOG and took the time to have a phone call with me to talk through the route despite not knowing me from Adam – this is the power of the Flyer community.

I planned and replanned the route several times. I wanted to go over as much low ground as possible and avoid as much controlled airspace as possible. In effect I wanted to make this trip as easy as possible. Skydriller said to me on the phone not to worry “it just works”, and I can confirm it does. Actually it was a lot simpler that I thought. The route was a bit overwhelming at first, so I broke it down into smaller chunks which made it easier to plan.

The first section was from Pons to Carcassonne and the first challenge was Pons is an unmanned airfield that sits under Cognac’s zone (starts at 1500) and is in a Notamed temporary restricted area for the drone usage (there appears to be quite a few of these over France at the moment). I checked the SIA but there was no information of timings of when it was active. The frequency on the Notam was Aquitaine Information, so I climbed into the overhead and orbited until I get them on the radio to ask the status of the RA (T), they said it was active and I would need to contact Cognac to get a transit route. I called Cognac whilst still orbiting the overhead and after what seemed like ages they cleared me through the zone and southwards.

I’d already checked the low level corridors using Paul’s handy link above and they were inactive, but I rechecked this with each information service before I entered them. We routed Jonzac – Villeneuve (town) – GAI – Carcassonne. The cloud base was low so we cruised at 1900ft (around 100 feet below the overcast sky) and as the weather brightened up further south we climbed to keep some separation between us and some higher ground.

Carcassonne has set VRPs on approach and we routed in via these (W and then WA) and joined downwind for 28.

We landed and there was some confusion on where I was taxying, I wanted fuel and the tower wanted to send me the GA parking. Eventually we sorted it out and I got fuel (Air BP self service) then parked up to pay my landing fee.

GA Parking is the opposite end of the field to the terminal and you have to go to the terminal to pay your fee. This is a ball ache especially when Ryanair customers are swarming the airport. The landing fee is 5 euros which makes you wonder why they bother for just 5 euros. I know I shouldn’t moan about a low landing fee, but when I got my 50 euro note out to pay and she asked for 5 euros, I was kind of, Eh?. This stop lasted 1.5 hours and should have been 20 mins. Top tip – don’t go to Carcassonne just for fuel, or if you do then park the plane on the apron near the fuel pump (there is a flying school there by the look of it) and exit there to go to the terminal, it will save you a walk which is nice in the summer heat.

The next part of the route was the bit I was looking forward too, low level around the coast to Cannes. We routed out via the published VRPs and we were quickly dumped by Carcassonne and contacted Beziers to get cleared through their zone, then onto Montpellier, Marseille, Toulon, and Cannes. There are set reporting points on the map which you are expected to report over, although in practice the Information service would beat you to it and clear you to the next reporting point. Where you go through at ATZ / CTR, then they pass you to tower then back to them.

Whenever you get towards the end of their radar coverage they give you the frequency of the next service.

It’s not as clear whether they have passed you onto the next service as it is in the UK, in that they don’t say ‘freecall’ or squawk 7000, they just give you the frequency. I made the assumption they had passed me on which was usually wrong and was given a new squawk and asked for the flight information again.

Skydemon makes planning the route over the reporting points really easy. But watch out as the reporting points don’t always match up to what the map says, for example on the map there is a reporting point SR in the Calanques Protected Area which is not in Skydemon. I think that’s why it’s important to have the charts as well as the GPS maps. Also I find looking at the Charts easier to plan the flight to start with then load the route into Skydemon.

As we joined the circuit at Cannes we were number 2 to a jet on finals. I asked to extend the downwind to avoid any possible wake turbulence which was agreed but he was keen for me to turn onto base leg as some IFR traffic was established on 8 mile finals, we expedited the turn, landed and quickly vacated the runway to ensure there was no issue for the IFR traffic.

The idea had been that would fly directly to Venice today stopping at Carcassonne and Cannes for fuel / leg stretch breaks and get to Venice late afternoon. I was however missing a map, Italian AvioPortolano LI2. I’d popped into Pooleys’s to pick one up before we left but they had sold out, so I hoped to pick one up at the Pilot shop in Cannes, plot the Cannes – Venice flight, submit the flight plan and go. However by the time we arrived in Cannes (late start in the morning and delay at Carcassonne), we were cutting it too fine to get to Venice before it closed so we opted to stay the night in Cannes and set off for Venice in the morning. We visited the pilot shop and they too had sold out of LI2 maps! Not sue what was going on, but we did manage to pick up an Air Million “The Alps” which covered the area we needed. Although technically I believe I would have been legal with up to date Nav data on the G1000 and Skydemon, I do like having a physical map to see the big picture.

The cost was 46 euros for the landing fee and overnight parking (grass) plus fuel (Air BP card, although there is another pump which takes credit cards) at 1.82 euros / litre. All in all I thought Cannes was good value for money given its location and size.

We booked accommodation using Booking.com (I would recommend this, it has never let us down yet on finding somewhere to stay).

There seemed to be a lot of security in Cannes, with soldiers and police on the street, I’m not sure if this is as a result of the recent Nice tragedy or not but it was very visible. Cannes is obviously very moneyed and there are lots of pretty people dripping in designer gear. I would go back (but there are other places higher up my list to stay) but maybe without the kids next time and do an adult weekend down there.

Saturday 30th

Cannes – Venice Lido
Total time logged 2:50

On arriving back at the airport the next day, we tried to get back through the security gate that we exited from. We were told that we had to go back into the terminal and clear security / show passports and fill in a passenger manifest. In fairness this didn’t take long and they drove us to the plane in a golf buggy which was a nice touch as we had a load of bags.

So far the route ‘had just worked’ as Skydriller had said on the phone, however today I was a bit pensive. I’d never flown in Italy before and reports were that it could be quite difficult, also although I was taking the low level route, I would have to climb once near Genova to get over high ground so I was paying very close attention to the weather.

The weather forecast was – Cannes scattered at 1300, Genova few at 3500 and then the rest of the journey few at 6000 or CAVOK.

Once we’d picked up the ATIS and spoke to ground we had to standby to ‘copy our clearance’. The clearance was a squawk, the next frequency (Nice) and departure via SA at 1000 ft. We taxied to holding point A2 for runway 17 and did our power checks there (I’d down the pre take off checks and set up the nav etc whilst still in the parking area to save time). Although Cannes is one of the bigger airports I’ve ever flown into, it’s not hard to find your way around.

We took off, followed our departure clearance and were soon talking to Nice. Again we followed the coast via specific reporting points published on the map. The weather however was not what they said it would be, the cloud cover was more like broken rather than scattered and it was lower over the land that over the sea so we kept further away from the coastline than we have planned for.

Not the best vis:-

We did manage to climb to 2000 ft and we were looking down on the cloud over land. My big worry was that we would not be able to climb over the higher ground near Genova due to cloud cover. As we approached Genova, the cloud did reduce slightly (I’d say more ‘scattered’ than the forecast ‘few’) but we found a hole in the cloud to climb through and we were flying VFR on top.

I’ve only ever done this once before and now my worry was getting back down again and hoping the weather forecast further along the route was correct. Luckily it was as we reached (very hazy) CAVOK weather, we descended down.

Some nice scenery enroute, everything from an empty container ship, to a lovely looking sailing boat to quite a few helicopters – keep a good look out as there are a lot of them!

At the FIR boundary we contacted Milano Information, it took 5 attempts to reach them for some reason, but eventually we made contact. We then spoke to Genova to get cleared through their zone and back to Milano then Padova then Venice.

From what I read online, the Italians could ask you for specific reporting points regularly, so I built lots of waypoints into the route. This allowed me to be on the ball with reporting points that I didn’t recognise and give accurate ETAs etc. In reality they didn’t ask for specific reporting points, but just asked me what was my next reporting point and what was the ETA. Once I’d done this twice, I was on the ball to be proactive on all the next radio calls.

Routing around the high ground:-

A lone house on a hill on the route:-

Milano were good enough to remind me that I needed to be at 2500 by VOG and 2000 at COD to go under their airspace, the only confusion was when I asked to transfer to Verona to get clearance through their CTR, Milano told me to stay with them, so I descended to 1400 to go underneath Verona. I stayed at this altitude to stay under the Venezia CTR whilst heading into the Lido:-

We got cleared (well land at our discretion as it is an AFIS) straight in for 05:-

It was certainly a hot and sweaty flight:-

Our route:-

No ipad meltdown (iPad 4 mini) though despite it being in a case

I topped up with fuel on arrival to save time on departure which was a rather fruity 2.75 euros a litre! Ouch.

We left the plane and got a water taxi, at that point I had a massive feeling of elation that I’d actually managed to get to Venice without killing the family. Yes there were some challenges along the way, but actually it wasn’t as difficult as I had thought.

I’m no expert having only done this once, but I’d happy to meet / talk on the phone with anyone that wants to do this trip but is a bit worried about it.

My main worry now is the amount of time left on the plane until the 50 hour check (16.8 hours G1000 logged). Even with a self-certified 5 hour extension, it’s going to be cutting it fine to do everything else we want to do and I don’t fancy having to fly her back to the UK for a check to then restart the holiday.
Pete L liked this
By JWL
Thanks chaps

Which airfield did you use for Rome? Now I've demystified flying in Italy I will definitely be back.

The water taxi was 100 Euros but that was to Lido di Jesolo where we were meeting some friends. Depending on where in Venice you are going it should be less than that as its a shorter journey.

Enjoy the rest of your tour and let us know if you go to any must see places.

Watch those thunder storms forecast later, fly safe.
By Alexw82
Great trip @JWL

I am leaving this afternoon for Venice via LaRochelle and Carcassonne!

I would be really interested to have a look at your plog from Carcassonne to Venice to compare routes and levels. I will PM you my email if you don't mind!

Have a great trip keep the write ups coming :D !
By JWL
Happy to share, currently traveling to Venice itself so won't be able to do it until this afternoon once I'm set up with the laptop.

It's a great trip and you won't be disappointed.

When are you planning to be in Carcassonne? We are planning to head back their tomorrow for a few days.
By JWL
Booking.com usually works for me on arrival (don't be stealing all the good deals :) )

I have just sent you the flight plans, but probably of more interest for levels are the logs I've sent you which show the actual route and levels flown and map the airspace.

I subscribed to the Italian plates vis Skydemon (around 26 quid) but they are not 100%V accurate. Venice Lido airfield is actually manned until 7pm not 5pm as stated on that plate. I tried to get an answer from the phone numbers listed to talk to them but never managed to, however I found them to be quite good on the email address provided.

Bizarrely the web address given on the plate is for an Australian business.

Anyway, have a safe flight and feel free to give me a nudge when you get to Carcassonne and I'm happy to meet for a beer to talk it through.

Cheers
By A le Ron
What are the requirements for landing at Cannes? I've been unable to access the "mandatory briefing" on the website. I assume there are special local procedures...