Where have you been? What have you seen?
I'm a fairly low hour pilot with just over 100hrs P1 and somehow managed to find time to take my wife off to Shobdon last week. Vis. wasn't great but it was certainly acceptable. We arrived to a pleasant atmosphere, great coffee and even a Mr Whippy ice cream!

Knowing that the weather wasn't going to be great back at Denham at 4'ish, we decided to eat lunch and head back hoping it would be good enough to get back down safely before the building CB's turned on us, yet as soon as I was talking to London Info, it became apparent that we were going to have to divert.

We got close to Aylesbury and the skies had turned deep dark grey and vis. looked like a solid wall from where we were, at 2,100ft. Well, it was hats off to the controllers from London, Oxford and Farnborough for being so proactive and helpful. They could not have been any more helpful and despite the radio being a little crackly in places, we ended up landing safely and calmly at White Waltham who were most welcoming and clearly had good weather to boot.

The cherry on top was that White Waltham told me that I had no landing or overnight parking fees to pay due to the Strasser Scheme. We were certainly not in any emergency but the diversion was essential given the weather conditions. I just didn't realise up front that I would benefit from this great scheme - so a big thanks (albeit way overdue) to Charles Strasser for all the hard work in making the scheme work! Thank you.

I took G-JACA back to Denham 2 days later and I see this experience very positively; at no point did anything feel wrong, it was simply a pleasure flying in what for many is an everyday occurrence in the UK.
Paul_Sengupta, gadgetjunkie, Dave W and 4 others liked this
Even more apt, being that G-JACA lived close to Charles S on Jersey for most of it's life :D
Glad you brought G-JACA back safely. I have a soft spot for her, having done my first solo in her last year (still no licence yet though...).

I have wondered during my much-longer-than-expected training why it doesn't seem part of the syllabus to practice diversions to nearby one's home base. Early local solos have been pretty full-on and I'm not sure what I would have done (or would do) if ever the runway at Denham were blocked or the weather ruled it out when I'm heading back. There have been plenty of occasions - so far luckily all dual with instructor - when the vis has been pretty rubbish.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
derekf wrote:Wow - just checked my logbook and learnt to fly in G-JACA in 2003 with welkyboy as my instructor!

It was flying in a certain N2923N with a friend that caused me to book lessons in 2002 :-)
derekf liked this