Where have you been? What have you seen?
By Ian Nayler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On 23rd May 2016 we will be taking our C172 through NL, Germany to Denmark (Jutland), then southern Norway, and back through Denmark mainland. Visiting Sweden then return though Germany (but may touch Poland). Has anyone any recent advice - or recommended airfields to visit..........
Ian
I'm based in Gothenburg, Sweden (ESGP) and can give you a heads-up of a lot of places in Denmark, southern Sweden and northern Germany. Norway not so much, I'm afraid. PM me with some parameters of your flight (distance, types of airfields you like, types of cities you want to visit) and I'll be glad to help you out.

A good place for MET and NOTAM information in the Nordics (and Swedish AIP) is this: https://aro.lfv.se/.

/Peter
By Ian Nayler
Thanks Peter,
We are 2 private pilots experienced in European touring but Scandinavia is mostly new territory for us.
Our aircraft is a C172Q Cutlass, equipped to IFR with 180hp engine, so we are happy with grass strips over 500 metres and hard runways over 400 metres.
Outline route is along Dutch/German coastal islands, up Demark (Jutland), across to Kristiansand (N) and down the coast to Copenhagen and Sweden. Finally returning via Germany (perhaps a dip into Poland).
We have two weeks from 23rd May so would like to visit smaller friendly airfields where we might stay for 1-2 nights and appreciate local hospitality. Ideally including Copenhagen and a few coastal towns .... but we are open to your experience and recommendations.
Ian & Peter
Ok, then. Sounds like a nice trip!

Going north through Denmark/Jutland, you may want to stop at EKVJ/Stauning, mostly because of the aircraft museum. See the ATIS subforum.

In northern Jutland, you'll find EKYT/Aalborg. That's a decent size city (for being Danish) and the airport is a not-too-long taxi ride away from the airport. Landing fee on the major Danish airports (Copenhagen excluded) is most reasonable, in the region of 10 EUR.

Don't really have a lot of tips for Norway, like I said. Weather is notoriously difficult, but since you're from the UK you may be quite used to it. Note that you can see the surface water temperature, as preparation for the crossing, here: https://aro.lfv.se/Links/Link/ViewLink? ... 9&type=MET.

Coming down the Swedish west coast, there are several little airfields to stop at: ESGS/Strömstad and ESTF/Fjällbacka are both grass but well over 500 meters. This time of year, there may not be a lot of activity. Neither airfield is close to the nearest town/village.

Further south, there's ESGP/Gothenburg. Until 18 months ago, a really busy airport with low-cost airlines. Now, essentially only GA and helicopters remain. That has meant that the airport buses no longer run, but one can take taxi the 15 km to town.

Even further south, I can recommend ESGV/Varberg and ESMH/Höganäs. The latter has a long post in the ATIS forum.

To go to Copenhagen, your best bet is EKRK/Roskilde: taxi or bus to the town, then train to Copenhagen. Another alternative is ESMS/Malmö: you can take an airport bus to Malmö and then a train over the bridge to Copenhagen. Note that there are passport checks on these trains now due to the refugee situation.

Denmark also has several islands with airfields. EKLS/Laesoe and EKEL/Endelave are two I have personal experience from; others include EKAT/Anholt and EKSS/Samsoe.

In northern Germany, I can recommend EDHL/Lubeck. The town is close and well worth a visit. I also like EDCG/Ruegen.

Have a nice trip! If you plan to route through ESGP, send me a PM. AFAIK I'll be in town that week.

/Peter

(Check the ATIS subforum! There are threads about several of these places there.)
By nallen
As an alternative to Aalborg in northern(ish) Jutland, Randers has a decent airfield/flying club; pleasant town. (By the way, it's pronounced Ranners -- the Danes tend to drop otherwise perfectly respectable consonants.)

I'm off to Denmark this evening, and planning to check out the flying club nearest to where my partner lives in central Jutland: http://www.horsensflyveklub.dk/ (which is near the pretty eastern coastal town of Juelsminde -- pronounced Yoolsminner).
I can second the recommendation for Bornholm. However: you'll need a rental car and the car rental offices are only open when there are flights arriving, which is seldom. They are also open on request. So check that before going and call them up.