Where have you been? What have you seen?
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Went up for a pleasant hour's jolly yesterday to/from Kemble with a fellow pilot. He was in the left seat and did most of the flying. We'd agreed before the flight however that I would be PIC.

Lovely sunny day, but a somewhat blustery and variable wind primarily from the NE.

We departed 08 with my fellow pilot using appropriate into-wind aileron, and executing a nice Vy climb towards the South before levelling off at 3000'.

We'd planned a bit off general handling practice, so after FREDA and HASELL checks (which required quite a bit of prompting on my part) moved on to practise stall recoveries.

Clean stall went well, but on the base-to-final turn with two stages of flaps he attempted to roll wings level before releasing back pressure, etc. A quick demo from me how I thought it should have been done; subsequent stalls were then well flown IMHO.

On to some steep turns, with some nagging from me to keep the nose on the horizon.

I then had fun putting the aircraft into various unusual attitudes, and getting my fellow pilot to recover. I surprised him shortly after the final recovery by declaring simulated engine failure :twisted: .

I'd managed to manoeuvre him towards Lyneham in the various exercises, so that made a perfect "field" for the PFL, which was nicely flown, though I had to remind him to simulate engine restart checks and pax brief during the glide.

We then headed back to Kemble for some circuit practise. Nice OHJ, but I had to remind him to undertake pre-landing checks. on the downwind leg. Base leg was well flown, and final nicely set up with left wing down into what was by then a 12kt crosswind. However, the pilot held off too high, and with the airspeed rapidly decreasing, I instructed him to G/A.

Next circuit was to be flapless. Unfortunately, this time the pilot ballooned in the flare, so I took control and went around. While climbing crosswind, I asked him to again take control, but he declined, and asked me to demonstrate what should be done. So I flew a standard circuit, albeit with only 2 stages of flaps on final due to the blustery conditions. Landing was sporty but successfully accomplished.

I then taxied back to the apron and shut down.

"Congratulations" said my fellow pilot. "You have passed the CRI flight test"
Flyin'Dutch', Paul_Sengupta, nallen and 6 others liked this