What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Charles Hunt
Thanks all. Crossed Dover Calais at midnight, now in Geneva. Can I have some sleep please?
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
LZ791 wrote:
ianfallon wrote:Perhaps The Chateaux with the Gateaux ?! Did anyone stop there in the end this time ?

I did along with Moli. Since the pictures on their web site were posted the parking area alongside the woods has been ploughed up. Parking is minimal now at best six to eight on the remaining grass parking by the hangar. Parking aside it was a fab location to stop and picnic, the Chateau owner was delighted to see and host us all. I will certainly visit again.

Thanks - any info on staying there ? The website seems to be down still.

Edit: Booking seems to imply you book all 8 bedrooms which for 3 nights in Aug would be around £2200 - not bad really for £92 per room per night.
Am sure we could get 8 aircraft/couples/singles together - hmmmm :cheers:
I would have been even more disappointed not to have come this year if I had been planning to camp. (Perhaps that's another sign of my weirdness, perhaps it's because in my flying career W&B has never been a problem in the aircraft I've shared).

If next year is building to an event where we are obliged to take 8 rooms between us, and the rest can camp then I'm loving it, but I think that I am rare in my canvass love and we'll need more than 8 rooms.
By Dave W
Personal stats:

Depart Wing Farm International 0730 Saturday, arrive back 1835 Sunday. Almost exactly 24 hours relaxing in Bordeaux, 877nm (1,009 sm) covered in 9h 16m for an average groundspeed of 109mph.

My routes, to/from:

Not bad, I thought. :D
By Rob P
Not sure how you do the screen grab of the route, but we did 1026nm in 7.9 hours averaging 130knots

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
0:15 to Popham for fuel before leaving.

4:55 to Saucats, stopping the night at La Rochelle
1:00 local flying from Saucats, took James and Susan up for half an hour each
4:55 back from Saucats, stopping at Cholet and Cherbourg

So one stop strategy on the way down, two stop on the way back. 11:05 all together.

Oh and Steve, believe me, it was nice to have an air conditioned room to sleep in! It was warm down there.

We were half way up the Cherbourg peninsular when I said to Charles I was fed up on the sun beating down on me by then. Sure enough, as we crossed the coast to the IoW, it suddenly went cloudy! :D Wasn't exactly warm in Cherbourg though, it was jumpers on to watch the jumpers from the C47!
By Moli
Hi all ....a few photo memories of the weekend.

Chateau De Monhoudou, our lunch stop on the way down on Friday.

Joli hard at work doing her ATC stuff for LZ791's arrival at Monhoudou

LZ791 (Mike) duly arrives complete with Darren & Scott but more importantly with picnic

LZ791 departs Monhoudou

Wine tasting at Chateau Grande Maison

The feds get very interested in a certain dog

Downtown Bordeaux

A certain dog pilot contemplates how to fund a possible fine courtesy of the Gendarmes looking over his ac

Hmmm, not nice over there

Fireworks for Derek's Birthday

Random views of the Journey home via La Baule

It all gets a bit tiring when you are nearly home!

Home safe and sound :sunny: :cheers:

A great trip, our thanks to all who made it so enjoyable for us.
Moli & Joli
By Rob P
Great images!

It is so interesting how everyone's experience of the same event was so different

Rob P
By Dave W
Superb pics, Moli. How I wish I'd been able to see more off-airfield with you all. Monhoudou looks like a must dou.

Rob: All different, yet all positive it seems. :thumleft:

Steve, it was either:

(a) They couldn't believe there was so stuff much in it, or;
(b) The absence of a civil reg and their uncertainty whether there was permission to operate in France like that.

Personally, I reckon it was (a).

With these pics, and on FB, I'm beginning belatedly to put more faces and real names together with forum IDs. :)
By Rob P
Rob P wrote:Not sure how you do the screen grab of the route, but we did 1026nm in 7.9 hours averaging 130knots

Rob P

The downside was about 235 litres of avgas :pale:

But who cares? :lol:
By G-JANN
Arrived home tonight after stopping at our Cognac house for a few nights.We would like to echo the comments of the others and our thanks go out to Rob and James for a fantastic weekend, great to meet formites old and new, great food and great company,look forward to the next one
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:(b) The absence of a civil reg and their uncertainty whether there was permission to operate in France like that.

I still don't actually know the answer to that. But they seemed happy with my exemption shown on G-INFO.
By BlackheathBloke
I'm not going to look at this thread anymore it's making me very jealous.

Even worse that I spent the weekend in Dublin watching one of the worst football matches in history. :oops: