What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By James33
FRaduno 2015 in numbers:

20 aircraft
1,500L of fuel uplifted
500L of beer and wine drunk
100 sausages eaten
A generally fun time had by all involved.

Thanks to all who came, and thanks to all who helped out!

Photos from participants will surely follow in the coming days.

Logging off now..... time for a long sleep!
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An absolutely brilliant weekend.

Thanks so much, James and Rob. You (and your helpers, but especially you both) worked like Trojans in the 2 days I was there, and so far as I can tell that was only two out of four days of full-on plans and entertaining.

The scene was set for me by being handed a cold beer by Paul Sengupta 20 seconds after the prop stopped on arrival, topped by finding myself within the hour tasting the local grape juice on a vineyard tour.

As ever, it was great to finally put faces to more forumites, and to meet up again with the others.

My return flight couldn't have been better*; absolutely stunning visibility all the way up the Atlantic coast, culminating in a view from 6000ft over the Cotentin peninsular of the entire Normandy battle area in a single view on one side (highly appropriate for the day after the 71st Anniversary of the landings), and the Channel Islands sparkling in an almost tropical looking sea on the other.

My little Jodel very nearly beat a TB20 from Saucats to Dinard, too. (Iceman will give you some old guff about them stopping at La Rochelle on the way - don't listen to him.)

Here's to the next one; I'll positively have to ensure I make it for the full bash next time.

If there's anybody reading this who, like me, had been thinking "I've got to go on one of those, they look like fun" then you're right: You do, and they are. :D

PS Did anybody route through Cherbourg this afternoon? There was a C-17 on the ramp by the tower, with a C-47 close by, and it looked absolutely enormous - even from high in the overhead.

*Except for the annoying and unreliable fuelling system at Dinard. Hrmmph.
By letpmar
I second everything said about how great the weekend was and how much hard work was done to make it great. Eve the sneaky unofficial Thursday night in La Rochelle was a great bonus.
I parked between the C17 and a C47 on the ramp at Cherbourg on the way back which was not something you do every day. I would post a pic but can't work out how.
Thanks to everyone involved, see you next year.

Pete
By skydriller
Hi all,

Absolutely SUPERB having so many of you come down here to Bordeaux for the FRaduno this weekend. It was great to catch up with old friends from previous Raduno's and put even more names to faces at this one. James & Rob did an absolutely sterling job at organisation, I only wish I could have been around at the initial planning stages to have helped more, but hopefully I was able to aid a wee bit on the weekend and ease things along in French with the locals where possible. And speaking of which, what a great spread at "les ailes" on the Saturday night, preceeded by a lovely bit of formation flying by the local CAP21 & Lancair300, two greatly dissimilar types, with a solo display by the CAP21 making my eyes bulge in sympathy with the inverted stuff....

Many thanks to Rob & Sandra for the Cheddar cheese, and to Jenny & John for the Ginger Beer, greatly appreciated. Thanks also to Paul, I know Susan really enjoyed her flight with you, though Im not sure Gustav felt the same way when he realised his mistress had left him for another dog - and possibly fallen for it too, which might eventually mean we get to be a 2-Dog couple!! 8) When Im back on track work-wise, we now have a few more excuses to come over to the UK bearing gifts of Medoc Wine!!

Susan & I are now in the garden "waving goodbye" at any GA aeroplane we see heading north over/near St Laurent Medoc...we spotted a TB20 yesterday - possibly Ice? But too far away to be sure. This morning Im pretty sure we saw Moli heading home in an AA-5 while we were eating a late breakfast on the terrace, and I think I saw Derek & Tammy heading back about 30mins ago, but again, abit too high to be sure!!

We hope to see you all again soon, be sure to contact us if you are around this area in the future so we can say hello again,

Regards, SD, Susan & Gustav!!
By IainD
Yes Marie and I echo all the comments here and we both had a great time meeting everyone. Just like a huge family gathering. A fab weekend with superb company and a great extra first night at La Rochelle with the early arrivals. Many thanks to James and Rob for the transport and organisation to make this event run so well. If anyone reads this and thinks I must get to one but feels nervous about the journey all I would recommend is dive in and ask for help on this forum. There is wealth of knowledge and advice to be had. Flying in France could not be more easy especially at weekends. They have a proper flight info service and the controllers were great re restricted area clearances etc.
The vis yesterday on our return was brilliant. We could see the edge of the Normandy coast from Le Mans at FL75. A quick stop in a very windy and busy L2Q for coffee and ice cream at L'escale and supposedly customs and then the short 55 min hop home.

I have now experienced the iPad overheat issue twice now once leaving La Rochelle and again leaving Saucats on climb out yesterday. My £100 android phone however worked flawlessly!
Thanks to Jenny and John for the recommendation of the Tesco Hudl2. I think I will be investing soon :)
Great to see everyone and glad Paul S remained a free man. Her'e's to the next one.
:thumleft: :D
By Jenny
Just got back this afternoon and echo all the previous comments. Those of us who stayed for Sunday also got an excellent tour of Bordeaux and its English Pubs :drunken: Followed by a wonderful meal.

We had a lovely flight back today. Stopped for an hour at Chateauroux for fuel and customs and then straight home over the top of the windy north west of France! Easy peezy - the controllers in France are a joy 'direct wherever' at the height of your choice seems to be the norm :D

Thank you to everyone - organisers and participants, it was a great Flyer weekend :thumleft:

Jenny

PS will post photos on Facebook (sorry it is easier than here :roll: )

PPS The (sub £100) Hudl2 worked faultlessly :mrgreen:
By LZ791
What more can I add that hasn't already been said! Really has to be the highlight of my flying in the past four years, a superb event and destination and as someone said like a big family gathering.
We departed north on Sunday re fueling at La Rochelle before heading north and across to Il D' Yeu. What a gem set amongst sparking seas, we took a cab into town and had a fab sea food lunch over looking the quaint port.

Really a place I have to visit again and spend a week chilling. Then north over Rennes at 6,500 in some of the most perfect flying conditions I can recall, viz 70+ miles maybe further.

Landed at Avranche Normandy for the night having first made a low pass to clear the runway of its mobile lawn mowers of which there were plenty (sheep). Possibly one of Frances prettiest grass airfields
run by generations of the same family since the early 30's. Superb location over looking Mont St Michel quite idylic. Madame showed me their incredible pilots visitors book dating back to 1936 that records every aircraft that has visited. 30's needless to say full of types long extant, 50's entries, Proctors, Messengers, Geminis, D H Types galore a real treasure trove of information. Some of the Hornet Moths logged still fly in the UK.

Stopped at Cherbourg for full fuel and a litre of oil, parked next to a wartime DC 3, then watched the C17 heave its bulk aloft. Our 8000 ft crossing to IOW a doddle,turning east to Guildford, skirting south of London, north of Biggin to waggle our wings over Grays for my staff below then home to Rougham. As we taxied in I spied a little Owl fast asleep sitting on top of the fin of a parked 152. Think I will follow suit (in my own bed not a fin) as pretty tired. 17 hours 10 minutes logged and the Archer never missed a beat. Let me know when and where for 2016 I plan to be there.

Thanks to James and Rob who deserve a pat on the back for all their hard work along with everyone else who had a hand in organizing the event, a huge well done.
By Moli
Joli & I got home an hour or so ago.....What a fabulous few days and so great to meet so many lovely people. A huge thank you to Rob & James for all their hard work, Rob you undoubtedly clocked up more hours in that van running people around than flying down & back in your RV.
James thanks for the RT class, put it to good use at La Beule on the way home....it didn't help with the 25 knots X wind when we got there though.
Once again thank you all for your company, my liver is now thankfully having a few days off.
Will post some photos in a day or two.

Moli
By Pete L
Great to meet old friends and new in new and interesting places. How many countries was that again?

Thanks to Rob, James and partners for organising such a great weekend and coping so well with so many making it, and Jenny&John for the La Rochelle night out on the way there. Met a few returnees for softer drinks on the way back at Dinard - missed Dave tho, although we have some pics of the Jodel landing. Dinard really, really friendly - unlike Nantes, who were efficient but gruff. France's Luton.

Jealous of LZ791 for Avranches. Thought about it but didn't have the nous to phone ahead.
By Tomahawker
Bo****ks... Knew this would be a good one. Glad everyone had a great time. Sorry we couldn't make it in the end, despite having a kind offer from G-JANN to ferry Dee and I over.
(Spent weekend instead visiting dad's hospital bedside :( ).
Definitely hoping to get to the next one though, as so enjoyed the last Sansepulcro get together.
By Rob P
Arrived back home in the UK just after 6.00, having spent a pleasant afternoon in Abbeville town. I'll add the English-speaking and punctual taxi driver to the Forum ATIS.

I understand this image is now compulsory?

Lovely to see everybody, friends old and new. Sad to not see The Eagle :-(

Rob P
By LZ791
Pete L wrote:Great to meet old friends and new in new and interesting places. How many countries was that again?

Thanks to Rob, James and partners for organising such a great weekend and coping so well with so many making it, and Jenny&John for the La Rochelle night out on the way there. Met a few returnees for softer drinks on the way back at Dinard - missed Dave tho, although we have some pics of the Jodel landing. Dinard really, really friendly - unlike Nantes, who were efficient but gruff. France's Luton.

Jealous of LZ791 for Avranches. Thought about it but didn't have the nous to phone ahead.

All is not lost!! Avranche have a fly in planned for the weekend of June 27th -28th. I have already decided to do this and will make a separate post.

Think of flying heaven, views to die for, he most wonderful club house and people who have operated this field since the 1930's.
By derekf
Fantastic trip - thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks to everyone for helping me celebrate my birthday :D :D :D
Some of the slightly 'odder' highlights have to be the fireworks on Sunday night and Moli missing the tram!!!