What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By jane
Let me know if you'll be in EGSL area so I can be over there and on the ground rather than in the air.
By Rupert S
well booked the plane, 1130 on wednesday, at the moment the intention is for Cardiff.
By poetpilot
Dont be put off by a bit of grass Rupe. No problem as long as you take into account conditions - e.g. grass cut, dry, drained surface, flat, no sweat. Grass wet, long, bumpy and sloping, well, take 'em into consideration in terms of your aircraft's (& your own) performance - but think of it as broadening your experience. Many of us learned on grass, it's not a big deal as long as you respect it and don't stamp really hard on the brakes... You'll be used to fairly short runways wot with Elstree anyway...
By Rupert S
1. I haven't flown in three weeks so I want a nice easy landing.
2. I've never flown from grass so I would need to do a session or two of grass training before they let me loose.
By jane
Of course EGSL is grass. Plenty of runway length. Had drainage put in, grass cut regularly. Special bumps to help one take off! Much better than it used to be. Feel more comfortable on it than the unlimited tar of Manston! Come and practice grass landings.
By David Williams
[rant mode]

It really makes me mad when I hear of people in this country who have done all their training on tarmac/concrete and never landed on grass. What the f*** do instructors think they're doing? They should be teaching you to actually fly, not just do the minimum to get you through the test. This country is blessed with many lovely grass airfields, and they're a piece of cake to land at - there really is no excuse for a new PPL to have such a fear of the green stuff.

[/rant mode]
By Rupert S
no fear of grass i just havn't flown from it yet and i need the training! I don't particularly want to take any lessons this week so i'm confined to Asphalt. easy.
By David Williams
Rupert S wrote:havn't flown from it yet and i need the training!

That was my point! Why did your instructor let you get all the way through your training without taking you to a grass airfield? :scratch: Oh well...
By Indigo
I didnt get into any really small grass strips during PPL(A) training, but I did Compton Abbas and Sywell, which is probably short enough for a student in a Warrior. My eyes are being opens on short grass strip with the new mount :wink: I am not sure I would take the TB9 in to much less than 800m of grass, because it is such a ground-lover.
By jane
David Williams wrote:Why did your instructor let you get all the way through your training without taking you to a grass airfield? :scratch: Oh well...

Seconded. On the other hand having learnt on grass I am glad that we did do some practice on tar/concrete so that I would not be worried by it! (And because the field was waterlogged and I needed landing practice in/on something firmer than a quagmire!)
By Adam
jane wrote:Seconded.

Thirded IMHO every student should do a mixture of Grass and Paved, I did and therfore no hangups about either :roll:
By Rob P
Fourthded :?

Why on earth would you need two hours training to land on grass?

It's easier for crying out loud!

Rob P
By poetpilot
Rupe are you intending coming to Sherlowe on 3rd July? If so, just go and find a nice grass field somewhere (like Jane's) and do it, man! It's fine, honestly, no problem.
By Rupert S
right well I'll be flying to Cardiff tomorrow, anyone's welcome to join me (ooh 260 miles, it could be the QXC for CPL)