What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Flyer ED
OK, spoken to Brendan; David's date in the magazine's Events section is just for the annual Bank Holiday fly-in (he actually collects the landing fees there). Brendan has 14 rooms (doubles and twins) at the hotel, plus camping is available. If enough people want to go, we should be able to fill the hotel and in that case there would be a discount on the
By claptonflyer
I can make the 29th and possibly July 24th/Aug 7th.

As I would be coming up from Bristol I would prefer to go up on the Friday and leave on the Sunday, maybe even the Monday if it is a Bank Holiday. That way there should some opportunities to see some more of the islands (see 2Ds post on last year's trip).
By Pilot Pete
May 29th w/e works well for me but I'll have to be quick, or buy another aerey :shock:
By AWoL
In defence of all those Scotsmen sitting in front of the fire with their slippers on, a precautionary note, which nobody has mentioned. If the wind is15-20kts+, with a strong southerly component then the rotor off the hills to the south could smack you into the water. As for May in VMC, well miracles do happen sometimes. I flew in, in Aug'03 (Wind N west 15kts).Has the most scenic surrounds of any airfield in Britain. (IMHO). Well-tended airfield with a first class surface.
By Guest
The weather in the neck of the woods is frequency challenging, and in combination with the terrain it offers plenty of of learning opportunities to people more used to flying in the flatlands down south. ;)

England is typically shielded from the worst excesses of the Atlantic and its frontal systems by Ireland. The same isn't really true of the west coast of Scotland. An incoming front can ruin even an August fly-in. We have had some good ones though, as the photos I posted earlier demonstrate.

Two top tips:

1/ There are precious few instrument approaches in that area. It is wise to route via Prestwick with a view to dropping in there if the weather makes a VFR arrival into Oban/Glenforsa impossible.

2/ Highlands and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL), the organisation responsible for operating many of the bigger airports in the region have highly restrictive opening hours oriented around their infrequent scheduled flights. In order to be able to use these fields "out of hours" (what we might think of as peak time), you need an "out of hours indemnity" which requires the payment of a fee and the evidencing of your aircraft's insurance certificate. It is worthwhile doing that in advance to give you maximum flexibility when it comes to timings and diverts. Details are on the HIAL website.
By Guest
I should have added a third top tip.

Scotland, by and large is not a good place to blow off the dust that may have accumulated on your IMC rating. Many of the few instrument approaches that exist are in close proximity to severely uncompromising terrain. Whereas dodgy height- or track-keeping will do little more than scare you during an approach in most parts of England, failing to stick to the procedure could easily bring a swift end to your budding career in Scotland. If you think you're going to need the IMC skills, be careful.
By Pilot Pete
Wise words indeed (as always). :wink:
Looks like I may end up hitch-hiking from the top of the southern chart then :lol:

Are we gonna choose a date?
By Rob S
Please choose a date then I can see if I can make it - 2D's wise words gave me the sh*ts!

Rob S
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You shouldn't be frightened by 2D's words. As long as you practice good airmanship and good decision making it is perfectly OK. "d's is perfectly correct in what he is saying - this is not the best part of the UK to start pushing your luck. The weather and terrain can chew up your safety margins very quickly - you just have to recognise it and act within the tighter constraints.

Anyway when are we bl.....y going there.

Tom :D
By Rob S
Note to diary 'make sure 2D is sitting next to me!'

yes when is it going to be for God's sake?

Rob S
By Kittiwake Pilot
Lets choose a date then :roll:

I'm on holiday on Mull (Flying up there in the Volvo :cry: ) from May 29th to June 6th so these dates are out for me.

KP
By claptonflyer
This thread seems to be in violent need of resuscitation. So here is my attempt.

I have just checked with Alison Walsh at the Glenforsa Hotel(http://www.glenforsa.com) and she tell me that there are 10 rooms available for the weekend of 1/2 May and 29/30 May (supposedly the official Flyer Fly In). After that, unless we want to go midweek, the best bet is 19th June when there are 7 rooms.

My first vote would be for 1/2 May but I'm happy to go with the flow. Also happy to extend the period to include the Monday for some bimbling to one or two of the islands.

P
By Guest
Can't do the 1/2 May due to a prior commitment - The PPL/IR AGM is also that weekend.
By claptonflyer
2Donkeys wrote:Can't do the 1/2 May due to a prior commitment - The PPL/IR AGM is also that weekend.

Fine. Then lets make it 29/30 May.
By Guest
You are a gent. I can do that :D