What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By santon
Hi

A friend and I frequently fly with our girlfriends for a day out in the countryside and it would be good to share the experience with some new aviating strip-flyer friends.

The idea is that we fly to a different airstrip each time that has attractions for the ladies also rather than eat a burger in the cafe. Typically we might arrive at noon and depart at 5pm so that we can have a good pub lunch, go for a walk, visit an attraction etc.

Most of the time we fly into grass strips and some are quite short. 350m with good approaches is our minimum limit. I am based near Gatwick (100kts aircraft) and my friend in Suffolk (140kts aircraft) so we tend to visit Southern/Midland airstrips.

Previous trips have included:

Bowldown: Visit to Weston Birt Arboretum
Chilbolton : Pub lunch and walk along the River Test
Shacklewell: Lunch and visit Rutland Water
Ripple: Walk into Deal and lunch
Buttermilk Hall Farm: Walk along canal to Stoke Bruerne for lunch

If any of you would be interested in joining us that would be great. My initial thought is that we might start at one trip per month. They would be organised at short notice to take advantage of good weather.

Over to you!
Last edited by santon on Fri May 06, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m always game for some stripping, particularly when girlfriends are involved :D !

Happy to join in with the Maule, but I need 600 m minimum with good approaches for the TB.

Have you considered weekend trips, staying overnight, which is more my sort of thing ? That opens up some amazing places, such as Bolt Head.

Iceman 8)
By santon
I thought we might start gently with day trips.

TB suitable airfields in the UK is not our sort of thing but the Maule will presumably get in and out of anywhere.
By Paul_Sengupta
I went to Wadswick yesterday. Lovely restaurant and lovely shop but if shopping is your thing, I'd increase the credit limit on your cards before going! :D

Luckily my "thing " is coffee and cake, which were both lovely and reasonably priced!
Iceman liked this
By Peter Gristwood
Iceman wrote:
> I’m always game for some stripping, particularly when girlfriends are
> involved :D !

> Iceman 8)

Really? I thought with your West Country connections, tractors might be involved ... :lol: :lol:
By Iceman
[usermention=6657]@Peter Gristwood[/usermention], combine harvesters, I’m a big fan of the Worzels :lol:.

Iceman 8)