What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/

Will probably be there Saturday. Hopefully bump into PeeBee Giles, BMAA folk and a few others if you are there.

I'm wearing this so I can be identified and abused over how bad my flying is:

Sadly I don't think I will have my license by then so will be driving in!
TopCat wrote:Much as I love Popham, and have flown in many times over the years, I'm nowhere near brave enough to attempt it on the microlight days.

:thumright:

The one time I went, I had to go round twice after being cut up on final by 2 non-radio (or not talking) slow micros who cut in front from base :?
By TopCat
malcolmfrost wrote:Please, please, please read the briefing and comply!! Remember as AGCS we won't be able to respond/approve a "request" e.g. "G-ABCD request straight in approach" all you will get in response will be a "Roger"!!

Unfortunately, of course, the muppets who 'request' that sort of thing from AGCS are also exactly the kind of muppets that will interpret 'Roger' as permission to do exactly that, and join straight in, creating havoc on their way.
malcolmfrost, mick w, Iceman liked this
I’ve flown in to this event many times over the years, and the biggest problem I see is the huge variation in approach speeds.

An RV on final at 60 kts soon catches up with a trike or gyro at 20 kts….

It really does need eyes everywhere in the circuit that day.
kanga, Iceman, StratoTramp liked this
By TopCat
StratoTramp wrote:
> Not flying in this time but used to it (the speed, not traffic) at
>
> Topcat makes the circuit sound like this:
>

That's two places you've said that now. I don't really have any clue why. I don't think the circuit is remotely like that. Microlights, being slow and light, don't need as much runway as something that's heavier and faster. So the 26 dogleg and the 03 downhill aren't as significant.

But I've seen some hilarious approaches at Popham over the years, and I've seen enough microlight flyers to be a bit cautious about mixing it up with them when there are a lot of them nearby.

Which obviously, isn't to say that there aren't loads of very disciplined Microlight pilots, nor that there aren't plenty of muppety SEP pilots.
By StratoTramp
This was pretty good in the end. :thumleft: ' the BMAA AGM was about as good as an AGM can be. :thumright:

From what I saw. There seemed to be a bit of gazumping by the flex wings, though I didn't see too much chaos, even then. Was a bit like Heathrow, with sequential landings though :lol: A lot going on.

I have 150gigs of footage to go through, My last Popham video is my most popular still. i think because it doesn't have me in it. :lol: I think people like looking for their reg / them taking off.

[usermention=12542]@Genghis the Engineer[/usermention] sorry didn't stay for the talks but hope it went well!
This featured in my talk and is worth 3½ minutes of your life. Seemed to go okay. The approved phrase is "The first British designed and built, all-electric conventional aeroplane". By other standards I make it the 2nd British designed and built all-electric aeroplane, the 5th British built all-electric aeroplane, or the 3rd British built all-electric conventional aeroplane.

G

Flyin'Dutch' liked this
It's an SSDR Sherwood Kub, with 5 x 3.5kW battery packs, a Geiger 28kW motor, a Helix fixed pitch carbon fibre prop, and empty weight- including batteries around 210kg. Predicted but not yet proven airborne endurance about 75 minutes with no reserves. Batteries rely on thermal inertia- gaining around 25degC in an hour, inverter is actively cooled holding around 35degC, motor is cooled by ram air from the front of the lower nose cowling, stabilising in climb around 74degC on an ISA day against a maximum of 95degC.

Also this... https://flyer.co.uk/britains-sherwood-e ... st-flight/

G
Flyin'Dutch', tr7v8 liked this