What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Had to search through past posts to find out the meaning of the word (Italian for gathering), but now that's established, I'm definitely interested.
By Iceman
BobD wrote:Had to search through past posts to find out the meaning of the word (Italian for gathering).

For background, this biennial event, that has taken place since 2002, is organised by AfricanEagle, a resident of near Rome. He chooses a different location in Italy for each event, the 2020 gathering having been cancelled due to COVID. The last Raduno was held in Elba in 2018 and was very well attended. A Raduno involves much eating, drinking and visits to local places of interest. People take their own routes to and from the Raduno, but often take in places such as Cannes and Venice.

There is usually lots of grappa involved :D.

Iceman 8)
BobD liked this
By Rob P
Iceman wrote:There is usually lots of grappa involved

It is worth noting that sometimes the significant others of pilots will elect to meet up there by commercial. A good option for those whose partners are not enamoured of long distance flights in small aeroplanes.

In a display of amazing bravery/stupidity Andy R and Timothy took a 152 and navigated there by chart, compass and stopwatch.

Nothing is rigid, it's all very flexible (trying to forget the night that 2D and I sat in a Venice hotel drinking into the dawn and totally could not make the flight the following day, missing the key gathering completely.)

Rob P
Iceman, AfricanEagle, 2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
By Timothy
Rob P wrote:In a display of amazing bravery/stupidity Andy R and Timothy took a 152 and navigated there by chart, compass and stopwatch.

I believe it was a C150, which was embarrassing when we tried to take off in Aprilia in very high temperatures and a power grid right in front of us.

But on this trip I don't think we were reduced to such basics (you may be getting confused with David Williams* and I flying a Robin from Fairoaks to Annecy and back using just those three things, and non-radio, except for the two ends.)

From what I remember Andy and I did mostly have a portable GPS. I remember this because on one leg Simon Holder* was carrying our bags (we were very heavy for a C150) and Andy had left the GPS in his bag, so we had to radio Simon for our position.

* I'm sorry, I've forgotten people's forum handles.
Iceman, kanga liked this
By Rob P
Timothy wrote:But on this trip I don't think we were reduced to such basics (you may be getting confused with David Williams* and I flying a Robin from Fairoaks to Annecy and back using just those three things

Or the magnificent Operation Jericho tribute?

Rob P
By Rob P
AfricanEagle wrote:There was also someone who did it in a PA22, twice.

And some Italian guy who joined the Colt for a return trip, and had to be restrained from bouncing a Spitfire Mid-Channel. :D

Rob P
kanga, AfricanEagle liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:..

And some Italian guy who joined the Colt for a return trip, and had to be restrained from bouncing a Spitfire Mid-Channel. :D

Rob P

possibly dreaming of a CR42 ? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_ ... r_aircraft
AfricanEagle, Rob P liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Timothy wrote:From what I remember Andy and I did mostly have a portable GPS. I remember this because on one leg Simon Holder* was carrying our bags (we were very heavy for a C150) and Andy had left the GPS in his bag, so we had to radio Simon for our position.

Indeed, although navigation was more a question of 'follow the leader'.

That was a fantastic day's flying, from Troyes down to Valence for food and fuel, except there was no fuel on Sunday so we backtracked to Romans - a delightful and bustling aeroclub with an eclectic mix of aeronautical activities. The next leg down the Rhone VFR route, past Arles to the Camargue and along the low level route to Cannes in formation all the way. After 30 minutes holding over the bay due to a fire on the airfield, 152-Heavy declared a fuel emergency and landed. Ten minutes later I was about to declare a bladder emergency when I was finally cleared to land. There are worse places to have to hold, but even that view wears thin after a while.
Rob P, Iceman, AndyR liked this
By Iceman
I feel your pain @Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28. The number of times that I’ve done UK direct Cannes, arriving there requiring an urgent bladder stop. Luckily, I’ve never been held much, but the long walk from the aircraft, and then having to clear customs and immigration before finally being able to relieve oneself really doesn’t help :lol:.

Iceman 8)
2Donkeys liked this