What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By CessnaWarrior
Hello All,

Weather looks reasonable on Thursday in the South East. Wondered if anyone knew of any events taking place or if you would recommend somewhere with good grub on a weekday, within say 150NM of North Weald?

Looking for something to do with my day off and being an American it seems prudent to fly out somewhere. 8)
By Rob P
I would guess both Lakenheath and Mildenhall will be doing something, but you'll have to pull some strings to get in there.

More practical would be Great Massingham aerodrome and The Dabbling Duck.

Rob P
mick w liked this
Old Buckenham is an idea, been on my list for a while. Do they do decent food there?

Andrewsfield is a bit too short of a flight from North Weald. But could throw it in on the way back… it’s on track in a way.
By Rob P
The food at Old Buckenham is OK, caff-type stuff, not in the league of decent pub food.

Within a short cab ride is The Garden House, an American, biker-themed and wildly eccentric pub.

Rob P
By JAFO
Rougham (322nd and 94th Bomb Groups) - Short taxi to Bury St Edmunds
Beccles (Built for the USAAF but not used by them) - Has a good cafe
Seething (448th Bomb Group) - Okay, I admit, not much there
Norwich (56th Fighter Group and 458th Bomb Group) - Whole of Norwich on the doorstep
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:Rougham (322nd and 94th Bomb Groups) - Short taxi to Bury St Edmunds

What a shame the Flying Fortress pub is no more.

Rob P
Old Buckenham cafe is closed tomorrow, which is a shame but I will 100% visit them on an open day.

I think options wise I'm limited so will probably go to Compton Abbas as it would be a new airport for the logbook and I have heard good things.

I will do North Weald-Old Buckenham-Andrewsfield-North Weald as a USAF tour another time for sure.
By kanga
Rob P wrote:I would guess both Lakenheath and Mildenhall will be doing something, but you'll have to pull some strings to get in there.

.. and (with similar caveats) Fairford, Croughton, Barford St John, Molesworth, Feltwell .. and runways of all but 1st may be somewhat obstructed eg with antennae :wink:
Haha, I did think of Lakenheath and Mildenhall, but I don't have any connections at that level. Although it would have been nice to wish them Happy Thanksgiving over the radio, but alas I'm going in the wrong direction.
By Rob P
CessnaWarrior wrote:... it would have been nice to wish them Happy Thanksgiving over the radio

I suspect you would have been met with total silence. Having learned nothing from Dec 7th 1941 the US Military in Suffolk tend not to work Thanksgiving :D

Rob P