What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well, who's up for it? Fly in or drive.

Suggestions for possible dates*, maybe @KANGA can advise?
The Jet Age Museum seems to be open every weekend :mrgreen:

*avoiding Aerobility Ball and the end of Nov London meet up already in the pipeline for some.

Am just going to plug it in to SD and check feasibility of making it a student practice XC (avec Instructor :mrgreen: )
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, Cookie liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:Well, who's up for it? Fly in or drive.

Me. Fly in only.

The Jet Age Museum seems to be open every weekend :mrgreen:

Pretty much any weekend, subject daylight and wx.

Am just going to plug it in to SD and check feasibility of making it a student practice XC (avec Instructor :mrgreen: )

It's a nice one. Southbound from Tatenhill to the Birmingham overhead, then DCT.

Or if they won't give you that, via the VRPs at M4 J10 and M40/M42 is a bit more across their runway so easier.

Bucketloads of easy ground features either way.
By Milty
Good point. I think some work has started this week. I believe 04/22 is due for resurfacing. If 09/27 is in use, I think there is minimal impact but if 18/36 is in use, taxiways are limited so there will be more trackbacks. Once 04/22 is finished, the main runway 09/27 is up for resurfacing.
By Iceman
Talking to Phil Matthews of Cotswold Aeroclub at the weekend, he said that 18/36 would disappear altogether, 04/22 would be completed sometime by Christmas, but that 09/27 involved not only a resurface, but also a flattening, which could go on until next April, I seem to recall.

Iceman 8)
Milty, johnm liked this
By T6Harvard
Iceman wrote:Talking to Phil Matthews of Cotswold Aeroclub at the weekend, he said that 18/36 would disappear altogether, 04/22 would be completed sometime by Christmas, but that 09/27 involved not only a resurface, but also a flattening, which could go on until next April, I seem to recall.

Iceman 8)

Forgive my ignorance but does the above make this a less than ideal venue for a fly-in before Christmas?
By Iceman
@T6Harvard, it may limit your choice of runways, particularly if there is a crosswind. I’d suggest giving them a call to verify dates and the anticipated WIP at that point. If the airport’s available, then I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t go ahead.

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard wrote:..

The Jet Age Museum seems to be open every weekend ..

indeed, 1000-1600. It would be nice to have notice, but I guess I can get that from this thread and pass the word. Unlike when the museum is used as a terminus/waypoint for car or bike rallies (quite common pre-Covid), we won't need to reserve a special parking area :) After this Sunday, 17 Oct (Scale Model demonstration; see other thread in this subForum), the only 'special' event on the horizon is the Remembrance observance around 1100 on Sun 14 Nov, when we prefer not to have engines running outside.. :salut:

The Vulcan is still closed, as it's not practical to ventilate/sanitise it between visits within Covid guidelines. The Trident, now reopened, we are doing on timed tickets, but only one 'family group' (which might be 1 person! Maximum 5) at a time, in 20-minute timeslots; last for 1540. Recently all tickets have typically gone by early afternoon.

Still Sat/Sun only. There are currently no plans for the formerly routine PH and Wednesday school halfterm and holiday openings; these may become feasible once we have completed induction and training of new volunteers (just restarting; more always welcome :wink: ). Inevitably, there have been losses during Covid.

I hadn't hoisted in that Twy R to the museum might not be available during 09/27 resurfacing, but I can see that it's likely; I assume and hope our Trustees would get notice. In MP3's day I guess we might have been able to negotiate a pedestrian path from the end of Twy G along the fence to our apron (although that would still be a bit of a trek), or a minibus shuttle as we had for PPs, but the regime has changed... :?

More background:

Last we mere volunteers heard from the Trustees, the airside secure fence project has been postponed by the airport until next year. We assume and hope that it will include pedestrian and aircraft width openable gates, with airside parking for our visitors, and at least the pedestrian one openable by our Duty Manager; but I gather that is not yet absolutely promised. Obviously, without former we could not take fly-in visitors, while without the latter we could not receive new fly-in exhibits*; either would be a shame.

*last aircraft-width opening was when we hosted the formal launch of a local Build-a-plane project, built by local (Stroud area) schools. After the aircraft had landed after flying the first of the pupils who had worked on it, it was pulled into the museum hangar for a shindig for pupils and parents hosted by the RAeS and sponsored by Boeing.

In anticipation of the works including the fence, we have spent a lot of time and effort over recent weeks moving those museum collection bits and pieces which were outside the imprecisely delineated museum curtilage to within it. This has included the jet pipes from the Javelin FAW9 (each one an 8-person lift job!) and the Javelin Mk 4 (an expensive crane job as the poor state of the undercarriage legs meant that it was not strong enough to tow; to make room for it we had had to transfer one of our Meteor T7s to another Museum); and next week we will be moving the Meteor NF13 (another expensive crane job). There's still more to do.
kanga wrote:.., we have spent a lot of time and effort over recent weeks moving those museum collection bits and pieces which were outside the imprecisely delineated museum curtilage to within it. This has included .. .. the Javelin Mk 4 (an expensive crane job as the poor state of the undercarriage legs meant that it was not strong enough to tow; ..); ...

pictures of the Mk4 move on the JAM FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/JetAgeMuseum/
tr7v8 liked this