What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By grumpysanta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This year both the LAA Rally and aero expo are asking for payment when booking slots, with no refund if you are unable to fly in due to the weather.
With the British climate I find this unacceptable. I have written to the LAA who state that this is down to the airfield.
Therefore regrettably I will not be attending unless I can book a slot a couple of days before when I know what the weather is like
Can I please ask you all to write to complain about this unacceptable situation and hopefully get it changed to pay on the day or guarantee a refund if unable to fly in.
Many of my friends at Bournemouth feel the same and they will be doing the same as me
This will not be good news for the exhibitors if numbers are significantly reduced
Chris Freeman GCBZX
By TopCat
Er, not really.

I'm minded to cut them a bit of slack, at least this year, as they're putting on the show and hence incurring all the costs of that.

Given that their revenue will have been massively down on 2019 levels, I'm not averse to taking a little risk with the weather, and making it more likely they'll be able to return to normal next year.

Nice first post after 7 1/2 years here, by the way.
kanga, Rich V, ChampChump liked this
By Rob P
Anyone used to attending UK airshows is familiar with assuming the weather risk. I certainly won't be writing to anyone (not that I want to go to the LAA Rally anyway.)

It seems Bournemouth has many 'careful' people.

Rob P
johnm, kanga liked this
By Iceman
I thought that this was to counter the scam of pilots booking many slots in advance (as weather contingencies) and then only turning up for one such slot, thus depriving other would-be show-goers the opportunity to attend, and reducing revenue for the organisers in the process. To me, this seems to be a reasonable attempt to stop such a scam.

Iceman 8)
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch', ak7274 and 7 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Once more GA pilots demonstrate we have nothing to fear from those outside of GA trying to kill us off.

We are very capable ourselves.

People complaining about up fronting 10-15-20 quid i.e. less than it costs in fuel to rock up to the hold.

These people were probably happier during the years there was no rally.
Rob P, johnm, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
Landing at the LAA Rally includes entrance for all passengers £13

Landing at Bournemouth includes nothing £30 (minimum)

Additional comment superfluous I would suggest.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', johnm, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:Landing at the LAA Rally includes entrance for all passengers £13

Very good value if the weather plays ball...not quite so good direct value to the pilot if they don't get to go. Maybe as a gesture of goodwill, the aerodrome could allow a landing at a later date for anyone who can't make it because of the weather.

Rob P wrote:Landing at Bournemouth includes nothing £30 (minimum)

From Facebook: "£109.20 for landing, handling and parking for 5 hours" for a Sportcruiser or anything under 1000kg.
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:From Facebook: "£109.20 for landing, handling and parking for 5 hours" for a Sportcruiser or anything under 1000kg.

Not if you are based there, like the OP.
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:From Facebook: "£109.20 for landing, handling and parking for 5 hours" for a Sportcruiser or anything under 1000kg.

Talking of whom, I'm presuming he's an imposter, in which case I don't think his user name is allowed. Should we send the boys round, Graham?
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

Talking of whom, I'm presuming he's an imposter, in which case I don't think his user name is allowed. Should we send the boys round, Graham?

He’s no imposter, TC, both halves of his name are well deserved. :wink:
Iceman liked this