What are you planning? Where shall we go?
Given that there are only 4 days to go, is there any more information available?

How many are expected?
Are there any special joining instructions?
Any after-landing instructions?
Normal radio calls?
Is a call to Shawbury essential and are they expecting a lot of transits?
Is there a timetable of events?
When do air displays start?
Should we have received a reply to the Flyer PPR form submission?

Would be good to be able to start thinking about ‘tactics’ before setting off.
2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Agree @Charley Farley they said last week emails would go out so I’m guessing anytime now.

Shawbury are very likely closed “in my experience. I normally call up shawbury traffic, wait if no answer state intentions before changing to sleap.

But as you say some confirmation would be good, I’m a bit concerned we’re all planned to arrive at the same time would be good to see the split over time I suspect the overhead is gonna be mega busy :(
I have done my share of fly-ins over the years and they generally work out fine.

Remember they are A/G so can give helpful info but the decisions are all ours. If it's mega busy when I arrive I'll stooge off to the West and come back when it eases off.

If 18 or 23 are in use and I'm not confident of getting off at the intersection I'll land long and taxi past the southern hangar complex rather than a short backtrack.

Keep the r/t brief but accurate. Unless special arrangements are in place the guy on the mike cannot see the circuit to the East.

Rob P

All the above in the absence of any more detailed procedures from the airfield in the interim. It is offered for information and is not advice. What you do is, as ever, up to you.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charley Farley wrote:Given that there are only 4 days to go, is there any more information available

I am glad you asked. I was thinking the same thing. It is all a bit last minute isn’t it.

The weather at least doesn’t look too bad. A bit of light rain in the PM but falling out of ceilings high enough and patchy enough to allow VFR flight from most parts of the country.

A big turnout would quickly overrun the Sleap cafe, I’ve been told, so absent any catering details from FLYER, I was going to bring a loaded cool box and some camping chairs!
Well I've just received the acknowledgement which basically says "read the Sleap website for arrival, tea and coffee in some room or other"

With this gap I actually can't recall what slot I suggested I would like.

2,000 ft ohj, circuits at 1,000, all left hand.

Rob P
By 2Donkeys
Rob P wrote:Well I've just received the acknowledgement which basically says "read the Sleap website for arrival, tea and coffee in some room or other"

Rob P

Funnily enough, I just got mine, and I too can't remember what slot I requested. Early-ish, I think.
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:
Rob P wrote:Well I've just received the acknowledgement which basically says "read the Sleap website for arrival, tea and coffee in some room or other"

Rob P

Funnily enough, I just got mine, and I too can't remember what slot I requested. Early-ish, I think.

I haven't got mine :(

Has someone warned them?
2Donkeys liked this
By 2Donkeys
TopCat wrote:I haven't got mine :(

Has someone warned them?

They are probably busy pushing the crash mats out near the runway in anticipation of an unusual join featuring an 'impossible' turn back.
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:
TopCat wrote:I haven't got mine :(

Has someone warned them?

They are probably busy pushing the crash mats out near the runway in anticipation of an unusual join featuring an 'impossible' turn back.

Ah, a spot landing competition then?

I guess they finished, I've got the email now. :)

BTW were you using Windy.com for your forecast earlier?
:(

Our aircraft will be in maintenance till next Tuesday now due to them finding something wrong.

Explained that we’d rather they found it than not, even if it does ground us for an extra week.

Please please please, Organise another fly in SOON.

I’ve missed talking to you lot face to face.
By TopCat
2Donkeys wrote:
TopCat wrote:BTW were you using Windy.com for your forecast earlier?

Windy and the synoptics.

I reckon there's quite a bit of uncertainty about Saturday's weather.

The synoptic for midday is here at the moment, and that front to the south could yet prove a little disquieting for the VMC only pilots.

The situation could still change quite a bit between now and then.
By TopCat
Forfoxake wrote:Weather forecast not looking good.

The midday synoptic for Saturday is certainly worse than the one I linked earlier (which now links to the current Sunday chart).

Possibly a more useful link:

https://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

or from the source:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/ma ... e-pressure

If the showers - even the thundery ones - were well isolated, it would just be a case of routing round them and waiting if necessary while they pass.

But the way it's looking now, I suspect they'll be quite widespread.

I won't be making a final decision until Saturday first thing, as I've seen these situations change quite a lot over a couple of days. But I'm not overly optimistic at present, and I suspect it'll be worse later in the day.

Fly-ins aren't supposed to be about stressing over whether to leave early or not.
Forfoxake liked this