What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
400m is a bit short for me. I could get in easily enough, but I might have to wait till a very cold, very windy day before I'd be confident of getting out again.

Usually I can get airborne in about 300m but that's cutting it a bit fine.
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:It’s true to say that Lundy’s not for the non short-field performer, nor for those aircraft that can’t tolerate a rough surface.

How rough is it?

Surely it can't be as bad as runway 11 at White Waltham?
By Iceman
Flying from White Waltham, but admittedly, never having taken off on 11 yet, I can see that 11 looks like a ‘normal’ maintained grass runway surface to me, whereas Lundy is little more than an unmaintained piece of moorland, particularly at its western end. Consequently, Lundy’s surface is extremely uneven and bumpy with the odd (painted) rock showing through the surface. Very much the domain of taildraggers and other aircraft with a study undercarriage.

Iceman 8)
Nick, Stampe liked this
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:Flying from White Waltham, but admittedly, never having taken off on 11 yet, I can see that 11 looks like a ‘normal’ maintained grass runway surface to me, whereas Lundy is little more than an unmaintained piece of moorland, particularly at its western end. Consequently, Lundy’s surface is extremely uneven and bumpy with the odd (painted) rock showing through the surface. Very much the domain of taildraggers and other aircraft with a study undercarriage.

I wasn't being entirely serious about 11 at WW :)

Although, much as I love the field (based there since 2001), compared with a lot of grass runways, it's pretty rubbish IMO. 25/07 and 21/03 are much better.

It's not remotely dangerous, but with a virtually undamped noseleg, rolling along it with virtually any speed above taxying speed can be uncomfortable in places. Taking off is no issue, as the weight is off the nose almost immediately. It's more the rollout after landing, which is best done short and slow.

But I think I'll probably give Lundy a miss in the Cheetah :)
Iceman liked this
By rohmer
Cancelled by organiser Pete White.

"Sadly we have to say that Lundy 2021 has been cancelled.

After much searching amongst the various websites and making investigative phone calls we have come to this decision as purely a matter of safety for all concerned.

Once again we thank you for your support, all 98 of you, and look forward to seeing you next year...after all Lundy Island will still be there waiting to welcome us.

All the best,
Pete White"
By Iceman
I managed to get there this weekend with a couple of friends in the Maule. It may be my imagination, but the strip appeared to be in slightly better condition than usual, but still rough and short, so beware ! A low flypast managed to clear the many sheep off the runway.

Strip 24/06 left of picture.

I wasn’t bargaining on these being on the runway though :shock:.

The landing fee is currently £10 for the aircraft and £7 per person. Payable at the single pub, the Marisco Tavern.

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous, rohmer, Dave W and 2 others liked this