What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's in my diary and urgently want to attend ....But ….. family health problem might preclude it. :(
By Waveflyer
It’s organised by AfricanEagle. Every other year he sends out an invitation and when he has some idea of forum interest he will arrange a date and venue somewhere in Italy. We make our own way there. Our stay is generally for two nights and AE arranges the base airfield, hotel, meals and interesting events to enhance the stay.

The whole experience can only be described as excellent and if circumstances permitted I would never miss one. I suspect I speak for just about every other forumites that has attended and many others that haven’t but have heard reports.
johnm, Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28, Iceman and 3 others liked this
By Iceman
To give you an idea, the last three (that I have attended) were held at Elba (2018), Asiago (2016) and Sansepulcro (2014). On all three occasion, I have ended up with a day or two in Venice too. People often meet up for dinner, etc., en route at places like Cannes. People make up their own itinerary for getting to and from Italy. Myself and Aerbabe took in an overnight visit to the Biscarrosse Airpark together with some float-plane flying en route to one Raduno.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
Getting to Italy without crossing mountains or sea could be somewhat challenging.

Rob P

Are the wings easily removed?
johnm liked this
By Pete L
Rallye wrote:Interrested if no mountains,very good meteo and no sea overflying,and if my airplane agree...

I’m also a coward when it comes to scenery in front of you rather than below - must come from being born in Essex - but Italy is fine. You can go round most of the crinkly bits, and there’s always a plan B. On the last Raduno we ended up at Lucca due to weather. It didn’t exactly spoil the trip - more of an unplanned delight.
Rallye liked this
By Rallye
Pete L wrote:
Rallye wrote:Interrested if no mountains,very good meteo and no sea overflying,and if my airplane agree...

I’m also a coward when it comes to scenery in front of you rather than below - must come from being born in Essex - but Italy is fine. You can go round most of the crinkly bits, and there’s always a plan B. On the last Raduno we ended up at Lucca due to weather. It didn’t exactly spoil the trip - more of an unplanned delight.

I am coming from Belgium.Highest mountain is 2.400 '...May i ask to the organisator to shave the mountains,it may help :D :cheers:
The trip depends where Raduno is,but i will try to be there.
By AfricanEagle
Raduno is being planned in Umbria, central Italy.

Plan B would be in Puglia, the heel of Italy, a very different and beautiful location. But it is a further 2-3 hours to get there and I am not sure the majority would be happy with the extra distance.

As for mountains, coming from Belgium, just fly straight down France, turn left at Cannes and follow the coastline to Pisa, left again and you will only encounter some 2-3000 ft hills before destination :wink:
Iceman, Rallye liked this
By Iceman
@AfricanEagle, what's the local airport?

I certainly wouldn't object to Plan B.

Iceman 8)
By Pete L
AfricanEagle wrote:Raduno is being planned in Umbria, central Italy.

Plan B would be in Puglia, the heel of Italy, a very different and beautiful location. But it is a further 2-3 hours to get there and I am not sure the majority would be happy with the extra distance.

As for mountains, coming from Belgium, just fly straight down France, turn left at Cannes and follow the coastline to Pisa, left again and you will only encounter some 2-3000 ft hills before destination :wink:

Tentacle free zone as well unless there's a Perugia Kraken :-)

We're planning Sicily for our 40th wedding anniversary but we won't be taking the Breezer. Viv will assume an unlimited frock budget.
By Rallye

Thanks for having think about me...I will see my geography for Umbria and where to turn left.Eventually an airfield for the landing ?
By Charles Hunt

Some sensible comprehensible navigation instructions!!
By letpmar
The Brenner pass is a much shorter route and is not difficult to navigate. You must however be prepared for the long route if the weather is bad.
Happy to talk anyone through it or the Simplon pass, a little more challenging but beautiful scenery.

Pete
Last edited by letpmar on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.