What are you planning? Where shall we go?
Waveflyer wrote:What’s happened :scratch:

Effectively one week's notice

In my case I had 5/6th pencilled in for months, since the first announcement. I am already booked on a job this coming week and have been for about a month. Short notice isn't always easy

And yes I know there was always a fall-back date, but I couldn't block out both in the work diary just in case

It's still a dreadful shame

Rob P
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If only a few people can make it next week, why not cancel it, rearrange for a couple of months time?

I'm sure lots of people have put loads of work in to make the event a success, and it would be a shame to cancel, but surely that effort would be much better rewarded with a successful, well-attended event later in the year?

Thanks to all those involved, anyway.
Answering TopCats post.

Anybody who wants to fly into Nympsfield on Tuesday is welcome from about 1000 onwards providing they have read the briefing notes on the other thread and posted their intentions on this thread.

I won’t cancel because of low numbers and disappoint people again but it will just be a case of flying in if you still want to, for a leisurely lunch time gathering.

I have already started making noises at BGGC about an autumn event and enthusiasm has not diminished, so hopefully we can give you the day we were all hoping for.

Thanks to you all for your interest, it certainly makes everything worthwhile. :thumright:

Any queries either post here or send a PM.
The weather this morning has not started off very well but the TAF’s show that southern England will be generally VFR later on. Significantly Cardiff and Bristol are VFR already.

I will be at Nympsfield from 0900.

129.975 for early reporting and airfield information.
By Peter Gristwood
I managed to find my way in today. Was a bit of a slog in poor viz but certainly worthwhile.

Had a great welcome and thanks must go to Richard, Ken and the team and for BGGC for allowing the flyin. Not forgetting the ladies who run the cafe.

Landing and taking off was a complete non-event, so for those who might feel nervous about visiting a gliding club, there is little to worry about as long as you read the instructions

I'd certainly be interested in another visit and hopefully the wx will be better next time. Thanks again.
johnm, SteveN, Waveflyer and 1 others liked this
Thank you Peter, let’s hope it’s third time lucky :sunny:

We had three aircraft make the trip:-

and one on a motorbike who swapped aeroplane for bike at the last moment due to early low cloud and spent the rest of the day regretting it :( So pleased you made the effort to get there :thumright: :-

Thanks from everyone at Nympsfield for your support, let’s hope I can get something bigger and better organised for autumn.
FlyingFreddy liked this
By Nick
Thanks to all at Nymspfield who welcomed us and the ladies in the café for our lunch. Most of all Richard who organised it. I wish I had waited a little longer
but I didn't think it was going to clear. Oh well better safe than sorry. Lets hope Richard can organise one in the Autumn we can then have a decent party.

Nick.
Popped into Nympsfield on Tuesday in response to Waveflyer' s invitation and very glad I did. What a superb location: immense grass strip on top of a ridge, surrounded by fabulous countryside with an excellent restaurant, (it's better than a caff), serving high quality food at reasonable prices. It reminded me a lot of Compton Abbas with gliders.

The locals were very friendly and welcoming and pleased to see the visiting aircraft, all three, and were keen to stress that visiting powered aircraft are welcome provided they call first for a briefing. The default position appears to be that powered aircraft, with ppr, are welcome, but when competitions are on or conditions are good the field may be closed to power. From the number of parked, air conditioned glider trailers I can well believe that it can get very busy on these occasions.

Doubts have been expressed about the surface conditions, but I found the grass surface to be very smooth, more like Crowfield than Lundy. There are gentle undulations, but the field is so vast they can be avoided and it is nothing like Eggesford or Eastbach Farm.

Many thanks to Waveflyer and his colleagues for the invitation and despite the disappointment of this event being spoilt twice by the weather there is talk of a third attempt later in the year. Let's hope it's third time lucky.
johnm liked this