What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By ivanmia
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seething Airfield (EGSJ) is hosting a Fly In on Sunday 6th May to coincide with the first opening of the year of the WW2 Control Tower.
There will be a BBQ on the day at a very reasonable price and the WW2 Control Tower & museum is well worth a visit.
You will be made most welcome at our lovely airfield.
24 LH / 06 LH 800m hard runway.
Please PPR on 01508 550453
A/G 122.605
http://www.seething-airfield.co.uk
Ivanmia , probably a bit too lengthy a trip from 'Daarset for our old Condor and it's even older pilot .
'Tho do let us know if you have a Miles Messenger visiting , as I went aloft for the 1st time in one on a 5 bob flip , from Seething in 1961 .
If the museum boys want to make the tower more original ? Then the original outside ladder from ground to balcony now resides in Stoke Rd. Poringland .
I helped Dad recycle it to give access to the loft of the garage he built in 1961 !

rgds condor .
Ivan , if you can find the reg of the Miles , please could you let me know ? I could cram it into my first logbook , or more neatly into my current [ the 5th ] .
When we sold my Mum's house , the buyer had connections to the museum and knows about the ladder ...'tho it is bolted and concreted in , also somewhat shorter than originally ! I also hope the statute of limitations has expired ..

rgds condor .
Ivan ,
Many thanks for the info and the photos . Can fill in my first flight in probably my last logbook !
Funny to think that both the '' Limping Lils '' I've flown , were my 1st flight and last [ big ] type and are retired , the latter in 2015 . Indeed I flew LL in the last month B4 my retirement , but not quite last trip ! But last visit to favorite station , and a memorable wet send off from the a/p fire services .

Thank you Seething , for starting off 57 yrs and counting ; of fun in the sky .
And now a cheeky long shot .. Anyone know the reg of an Auster doing 5 bob flips from North Denes in 1966 , or a Rallye out of Swanton Morley , used by Norfolk Air Scouts c1968 ?
Did navigation badge in the newly delivered Valleta at Horsham St Faiths [ now at Flixton ] .

Thanks again Ivan ,

Brgds condor .
ivanmia liked this
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Auster would have been either G-ASFK or G-ARNB (both J/5Gs). If it’s any help, ‘FK was red and white and from my memory at the time (I would’ve been four years old ), ‘NB was blue and white as I used to (apparently) used to refer to them as the “blue and red Austers”....North Denes was my local airfield :)

Can’t help with the Rallye, but Seething did have G-AYES in the early 70s, so whether that was it, I’ve no idea...

Ian