What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By ShadowPilot
I have looked through the forums, but am no clearer as to the planning rules for the TopNav competition. I appreciate the actual flight is without my beloved SkyDemon, but before taking off, can I use electronics to calculate vectors or do I need to revise my WhizzWheel skills. Also, are you provided with the weather and spot winds?
By TLRippon
If nothing has changed since the last time I did it.
You need to have a current chart, ruller, protractor, chinagraph/felt tip, stopwatch, whizzwheel, camera and plogging pen.
You are given an envelope with a blank plog, a gps tracker and a sheet with various (IIRC 12) waypoints on it, denoted in a mixture of Lat/Long, Rad/DME which may or may not relate to a feature on the chart although will relate to a ground feature to photograph.
Having a second crew member is also a help so that they can update the plog with any course corrections and times to target you make while you’re flying accurately.
They stick things over your installed gps in the aircraft to prevent you using them and mark you down if the tracker shows you are flying too accurately ie don’t make any course corrections implying you are using gps.
You usually get 30mins from when you get the envelope to be airborne.