What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Rodw
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We are holding a low-key informal fly-in (no arrivals by road) at RAF Henlow on Tuesday August 14th to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the first flight of our Cessna 120, hence the weekday. Henlow is scheduled to be sold by the MOD in 2020 so this is a good opportunity to visit and se the Grade II listed hangars and some of the inmates which do not venture too far such as an airworthy Avro 504K. Normal MOD insurance is required but landing fees have been waived. Interested pilots should contact me direct by email at: roddybwebb@gmail.com
Will the RAF Signals Museum* be open that day ? And Any news about where it might go after closure ?

*recommended for (other) wireless geeks, and others. Happy to have twice flown in artefacts/documents for them (easier than driving!) :)
.. but has been known to open for arranged group visits, and on special days such as 'Museums on the air' days when amateur stations with special callsigns are set up at museums around the world.

Nearer the time, it might be apposite to find out who's planning to fly in and canvas them to see how many are interested in visiting. If numbers were worthwhile hosts could contact the volunteer curators ..
As I've now hung up my headset, I can come only if some kind local offers me a seat :roll: . However, I can assure Forumites that the volunteers who run the Signals Museum are knowledgeable, friendly and very good guides; rather as we'd all expect at any volunteer-run aviation museum (not that I'd dream of mentioning any :oops: ).

As some potential flyers-in seem interested, it would be good if OP (Rodw) could make initial contact to see if they would might be prepared to open specially that day. Of course, if any Forumites have pertinent onjects/artefacts in their lofts which they are now prepared to donate .. One category of the stuff which I once brought which seemed very welcome, somewhat to my surprise, was QSL cards from amateur operators who had been based at now closed RAF stations worldwide.
Lefty liked this
Kemble Pitts wrote:Kanga, I 'd be happy to give you a lift. Jodel out of Oaksey as per our trip to Stow Maries a while back?

vmt; provisionally accepted (unless I get a Staverton-based offer :whistle: :) )