What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By 10W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Meandering down from Scotland on Tuesday or Wednesday and at the show till Sunday, then off to Cannes for the Red Bull Air Race. Most likely routing Prestwick to Calais, or possibly direct to Nancy if weather and wind is favourable. :thumleft:
Well this week was going to be a trip to the Alps but the weather has a different plan for us. So I wondered whether Friedrichshafen would be back on the table but forgot to book a slot on the weekend. Doh.
By Iceman
Pete, you do indeed appear to be a bit late for a slot (very early morning slots still available), not helped by the airport not making available the grass runway this year. As FD states, other nearby airports are available, as shown here, some with a shuttle bus service. Click on an individual airport's name below the map for more details.

Iceman 8)
Lol. Yes you're right Mark . It was mainly because I thought that my plans for this weekend were quite possible, and stupidly allowed my attention to slip.
Thanks for the very helpful link.
By carlmeek
I’m planning on a mid way stop at Metz Nancy Lorraine. Routing from there through to Friedrichshafen looks a bit messy with weekday restricted areas blocking it all up. Any advice on the route and whether I’m likely to get a crossing?
By Dave W
carlmeek wrote:I’m planning on a mid way stop at Metz Nancy Lorraine.

@carlmeek - Careful: We stopped there a couple of years ago on a weather diversion and they had no AVGAS; the AIP entry suggests it is still JET A1 only. Nancy-Essey (LFSN) is likely a better bet.

I've used the latter 3 or 4 times now and it's a favourite; les pompiers come out and do the fuel, the pumps take normal bank cards and there's a nice restaurant on the field.

If you arrive late and the tower is closed, there is PCL on the field - just don't park overnight in front of the building entrance because that's where the morning commercial flight expects to go. :oops:
By carlmeek
I should have spotted immediately but Nancy-Essey (LFSN) is not customs, so no use to us.

We're departing from Sussex and wanted to fly between 1.5-2 hours before our customs stop ideally. I'll keep looking for other options...
By letpmar
We are doing Le Touquet then Sedan LFSJ for a pee then Tannehiem EDMT for the night. We hire a car from there and drive to the show. Not a long first leg for you but gets the job done. Hoping to depart Firs at 0800 local in the morning 17th

Pete
Iceman liked this