What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
carlmeek wrote:Anyone got any handy tips to help with planning a flight out there VFR?

Carl.. If you like ... send me your email address I can forward you my last routeing (Bournemouth to Friedrichshafen)
It's via Calais (to pick up an old pal) but is easily modified for your use.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As an indicator of how easy it can be, I took Sir Morley Steven over a few years ago. From Blackbushe he asked "what's the route ?". "Midhurst VOR, turn left a bit, direct" is what I replied, and that is indeed what we flew, a straight line the whole way there after Midhurst. As long as you stay clear of Class A (mainly Paris), and cruise at an appropriate VFR level, you will invariably be cleared through everywhere else en route.

Iceman 8)
We usually go VFR and stop at one of the customs fields in the north of France for snacks and then drop into Nancy Essey for sensibly priced fuel, Friedrichafen like to add a chunk per litre for the show. Also means that you have departure options if waiting around for fuel on departure day means the weather closes in. We usually come back via L2K for a break.
We’re not going this year as the last couple of times felt like a carbon copy of the previous years.
It is actually quite difficult to buy things at the show as many of the manufacturer’s stands default response to a purchase request is “You’ll need to go and speak to our UK distributor”.
Does anyone have space for two people to ride along to Friedrichshafen? Obviously happy to share the costs!

We both did our PPL at Elstree last year. I'm German (f), 29 and grew up in Friedrichshafen but have been living in London for 7 years. My friend is 25 and British (m).

Ideally we'd like to go from Thursday/Friday until Saturday/Sunday, so 2-4 days.

Would be great if someone could take us!