What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
We’re both for the fish and plan to stop and take fuel and possibly night stop Calvi on the way down. Prob 90 Malta after Elba.
By AfricanEagle
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sorry for the absence, I was flying :D

Regarding fuel.

I suggest you full up as much as possible in France since avgas is cheaper.

In Italy on the way down fuel is available at Massa Cinquale - Lucca and Pavullo (which is inland).

Fuel is available at L'Elba but price was 3.15 e/l a couple of weeks ago.
There has been a general increase in Italy over the last 2-3 weeks so I don't know current price.

Fuel is available at Sassuolo/Modena and price should be around 2.60 e/l which is the current average in Italy.

Fuel available in Venice Lido.
By 2Donkeys
Venice Lido's website currently suggesting that fuel will be an eye-watering €2.75/L
By Grumpy One
Landed & refuelled at Lucca a week ago:
Fire & AFIS Service = 12.92 Euro
Fuel/Ltr = 1.8723Euro + VAT @ 22% = 2.284328 Euro / Litre

Valance (LFLU) was: 2.2.09 Euro / Litre Incl. Tax @ 20%

Calvi (LFKC) was: 1.74179 Euro / Litre on a BP card and invoice doesn't show any tax !! Maybe I was just lucky :clown:

Have fun
By Iceman
Another thing to remember is that Cannes doesn't sell engine oil. Although I have bought some in the past at Venice St. Nicolo, I seem to recall that I had seen it written that they no longer sell oil either. So it may be worth bringing a few qwts with you, just in case you need it.

Iceman 8)
By SimonM
Am I correct in thinking that every flight within Italy requires a flight plan to be filed before the flight?
By Grumpy One
Nope...…. Incorrect. ….. Thankfully
Flew all round the Lucca/Valdera area last week with no adverse arrests, shootings down or rebukes from ATC. All very pleasant. :pirat:

Caviat - The airfields I used didn't require a flight plan to be submitted - There MAY be airfields/airports in Italy that do require it. A check through the planned relevant airfield's AIP entries will give you the true low-down.
SimonM liked this
By Iceman
Grumpy One, sorry to miss you on your return. I understand that you and Grumpy Santa / Grumpy Stiffy went to Calvi Corsica whereas I bumped into Graham B and crowd at Cannes, having a pleasant dinner with them that evening.

Simon, most of my flights to and from Italy have been international and hence requiring a flight plan. I have also done quite a number of internal flights, including Venice, none of which require a flight plan.

Iceman 8)
SimonM liked this
By AfricanEagle
Internal flight plans in Italy are not mandatory if you have an elt on board.

An abbreviated FP is open in flight via radio if/when crossing/arriving in a CTR.
Callsign, type, POB, endurance, from departure xxx to arrival xxx is allthat is asked for.
SimonM liked this
By AfricanEagle
Grumpy One wrote:Flew all round the Lucca/Valdera area last week

Mr. Grumpy One,

you come to Italy and you don't tell me.

Mi hai mancato di rispetto.

Riccardo De Nardis
By Grumpy One
Oh! Lord!! What have I done??? No disrespect intended Riccardo - We didn't think you'd want to associate with such an insignificant little worm of a bloke like me!
We attended an annual gathering of the European American Yankee Association (Basically the worldwide association of Grumman owners and pilots), so was rather tied up with all their activities in the Valdera area.
It had been arranged over a year ago and I was obligated to attend, being the ex-European Director and President of the whole worldwide AYA caboodle.
Hope you understand.
Scusa amico mio

Ni
By AfricanEagle
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was pulling your leg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew about the AYA meeting at Valdera. You often held it there - I popped in a few years ago.

Ciao Amico mio :D
By johnm
I hope a good time is had by all and I'm sad that I can't join you this time having had such a great time at the Asiago event :(
AfricanEagle liked this