What are you planning? Where shall we go?
FAIREY ROTODYNE 60th anniversary lecture, including archive film

Monday 27th November at Maidenhead Town Hall SL6 1RF at 7.45pm

Speaker David Gibbings, who worked on Rotodyne

Tickets £10 from Maidenhead Heritage Centre 01628 780555

Further information 6th November is the 60th anniversary of the maiden flight at White Waltham of the revolutionary Rotodyne, the world's first vertical takeoff airliner. This special anniversary lecture tells the story of Rotodyne from its conception through the flight test programme (including route proving to Paris and Brussels) to the disappointment of its cancellation in 1962. David Gibbings will also look at VTOL projects since the trail-blazing Rotodyne - which was definitely ahead of its time.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This is a way from me, so sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it that night.

However, anybody who does go is likely in for a treat.

Dave Gibbings is a lovely man, an extraordinarily experienced engineer and gifted historian.
I have a soft spot for the Rotodyne, and still have the 1958 "Meccano Macazine" issues in a binder, with a great write-up and photos of said machine. It's a shame the publicity machine reached maximum velocity before the noise-issue was resolved to an acceptable level.....but then, of course, it gave the Pollies of the day, a handy axe with which to kill it.
My inconsiderate sister sold her house in Maidenhead and moved to Norfolk, about a year ago :( Otherwise, I'd have attended the event and killed 2 birds with one stone.....
cockney steve wrote:..
My inconsiderate sister sold her house in Maidenhead and moved to Norfolk,.. Otherwise, I'd have attended the event and killed 2 birds with one stone.....

plotting sororicide ? :)
cockney steve liked this