What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By alanevans
The IWM Duxford Safety Day has been running for eleven years and it is always held at the beginning of the flying season in order to give pilots the best possible start to safe flying each year. In 2017, it will be held on Saturday 8th April 2017.

Fly-in or Drive-in (see below)

The format will be similar to previous years. Four 30 minute formal presentations in the morning, repeated in the afternoon and a dozen informal ‘table-tops.’ Experts with various messages on safety or important to pilots are given a table-top in a large room, Visiting pilots are encouraged to walk around and meet and talk to the experts, ask questions or just listen to the relaxed chats. Table-tops will also be given by the main formal presenters and will run throughout the day.

Here’s the program:

09.00 Airfield opens (until 18.00)

10.30 Table-tops start up and run all day

11.30 Formal Presentations – session 1 (to 13.30) – session 2 is 14.00 to 16.00

Tony Rapson, Head of CAA GA Unit – update on progress over the last year and plans for the future. Tony is heading the drive for simpler and proportionate regulation for GA and only to regulate where required.

Blain Kelly, NATS Terminal Control Safety Manager - managing the risk of controlled airspace infringements.

Paul Buttolph, in charge of Distress and Diversion, will explain what D&D can offer and show GA pilots how easy it is to call D&D.

Mike O'Donoughue, Chief Executive of GASCo on threat and error management to help keep you safe and loss of control - the killer.

Table-top Presentations from:

The four presenters, above, and their colleagues. PLUS:

London FISOs (who are they, what can they do?)
Met Office (Aviation weather threats to safety)
AIM Cartography (for NOTAMs, maps, the AIP)
CFI Corner (Carol Cooper – licences, ratings, renewals, revalidation…..)
AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association - also working on Project EVA)
LAA (Light Aircraft Association)
BMAA (British Microlight Aircraft Association)
RIN (Royal Institute of Navigation GA group)

Hangar Tours
Two hangar tours will be available in both morning and afternoon at 11.30 and 14.30:
Airspace (Chris Liddle)
Hangar 4 – Battle of Britain Experience (TBA).

Some of the key Duxford figures will be walking around (Rick Peacock-Edwards - Duxford Airfield Safety Committee; Rod Dean and Geoff Brindle - Display Direction Team).

If you have any time left at all, walk down to the American Air Museum, or better still, come back and see us again.

So how do you arrange to come along to the Safety Day: You can fly in from 09.00 or drive in from 10.00. Fly in is by pre-booked timed landing slots. Fly or drive – you must pre-book. If the weather is poor, you can come in by car, instead of flying.

Call the tower 01223 833376 as soon as possible as fly-in slots are limited. Fly-in pilots must read the pilots' information on the web site before booking:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... 012016.pdf

Safety Day charges to help defray costs: £5 per person; £8 discounted landing fee; cars free.

Finally, IWM is running four Bonus Days this year and airshow visitors can once again fly-in. Provisional details on the "Duxford Dates for your Diary" thread.

My interest in Duxford? I’m a part time FISO, but this is a personal posting because I think it is a great place for GA and for enthusiasts.

Alan.
By alanevans
Three weeks to go to the Safety Day (I'm posting on 18th March). The prime time slots are now pretty full, but there are still plenty of slots between 9 and 10.15 local time and after about 11.15 (for the afternoon presentations). And you can drive in, but you still need to book in advance, please.

Call 01223 833376 to book your slot.

Alan.
With just over a week to go, there are still fly/in landing slots free. But past experience tells me that there will be a flurry of calls from about Wednesday next week - especially if the weather is good.

So, if you are planning to com, book your slot NOW. You can always drive if the weather is not good enough.

It promises to be a very informative day for all shades of pilots.

01223 833376 for slots and car bookings.

Alan.
With just over a week to go, there are still fly/in landing slots free. But past experience tells me that there will be a flurry of calls from about Wednesday next week - especially if the weather is good.

So, if you are planning to come, book your slot NOW. You can always drive if the weather is not good enough.

It promises to be a very informative day for all shades of pilots.

01223 833376 for slots and car bookings.

Alan
By mmcp42
PS
just read the "rules of engagement"

Duxford is open 0900 - 1700 UTC

"but there are still plenty of slots between 9 and 10.15 local"

will obviously check before chocks tomorrow, but
if anyone can clarify - t'would be handy :)
The slot booking for fly-in is enough. If you are driving you also need to book in. If you have booked a fly-in slot, but decide at the last minute to drive, tgat is OK, but pleased call to cancel your landing slot.

The airfield opens early on 8 April, at 9 local = 8z.

I'm still wash, but hope everybody has a great day.
Alan.