For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
Jim Jones wrote:...I've have only ever bought one new car...

Oh how that statement depresses me. I wonder how many cars I could have bought with total of 1st year's depreciation of the new cars I have bought. :pale: :pale: :pale:

Oh how I need someone to tell me how much they lost on their supercar in year one. :D

If I added it up I could probably have bought an RV......stupid boy!!! :wall: :scratch: :bounce:
By Jim Jones
Misc,
People like me need people like you. :D

There's some good deals on new Leafs at the moment, sure sign a new model is imminent.

I'll wait a bit longer I think.
By Miscellaneous
With charging for charging getting underway the suspicions of many appear to be well founded.

Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine without ultimately generating similar revenue for No 11 Downing Street. Of course there are other reasons to buy electric and there may well be short term savings to be had, however longer term, in a society which is facing an energy crisis, I struggle to see them dominating and see many challenges ahead.

Unfortunately I don't have the long term answer, maybe it will be bicycles for short journeys with car use rationed. Or maybe it'll be horse and cart. :D
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a schoolboy,more than 50 years ago, I was taught that, had the IC engine not been invented, London streets would be 6 feet deep in horse manure.....consider how the population has grown , since the War.....18 feet would be a realistic figure now.....mind you, it would keep a few thousand of the otherwise -unemployable gainfully employed as 5hit-shovellers.
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flying_john wrote:Dissapointing news today that the Ecotricity charge points at services are going to charge a fiver for a 20 min top up. This puts the cost of the miles done on those charge ups, to the equivalent of a petrol car.
they eventually backpedaled and changed it a little.
Original flat fee rant by electric leaf man

Then it's now 6 quid for 30 Min
By GAFlyer4Fun
Miscellaneous wrote:With charging for charging getting underway the suspicions of many appear to be well founded.

Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine...

Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine because this country does not have enough power stations for all of us to have electric cars.

I doubt they will turn off safety cameras or smart motorways to reduce the shortfall. :idea:
By eltonioni
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:With charging for charging getting underway the suspicions of many appear to be well founded.

Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine...

Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine because this country does not have enough power stations for all of us to have electric cars.

That assumes that we all have electric cars, rather than order up a driverless bot pod when we need to travel.
By Miscellaneous
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Logic tells us electric cars cannot replace the internal combustion engine because this country does not have enough power stations for all of us to have electric cars.

Yip, I think I said that! :D

Even if it did No 11 would have to retain the revenue! :(
By eltonioni
KingJames wrote:Milton Keynes leading the way
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 25119.html

I really like that. We started using our local cab firms Uber style mobile app and it's really changed how we view local transport. More often not these days than Mrs E and I now we use one car and meet up if we need to, with one of us using a cab and avoiding all the parking and traffic faff around town. When these pods become driverless everywhere I can see a real change for everyone, especially youngsters who aren't driving nearly as much these days anyway because of cost and urban living.
By Rob P
Do remember that most of the generation load for electric cars is overnight, a quite useful smoothing of the demand on power stations.

But yes, the Chancellor will have to get the petrol taxes replaced somehow.

But as I never tire of saying, it's not that they are cheaper or less polluting that is the appeal of electric motoring for me, it's the driving experience.

Nobody ever says "I don't want an Aston Martin because a Ka pollutes less and is cheaper"

Rob P
By kanga
Rob P wrote:.

Nobody ever says "I don't want an Aston Martin because a Ka pollutes less and is cheaper"

Rob P

I can see myself saying precisely that! The reason why I would probably buy neither is that neither would have room for bulky junk .. :)
By Boing_737
Time to remind Kanga that "junk" means something all together different to the youth of today compared to what he was thinking of.......(the former of which would make his post much more amusing) :D