For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By akg1486
kanga wrote:
akg1486 wrote:Imagine working your whole life and then to be world famous for what you did during one week only.

Better than being notorious for one incident in an otherwise blameless life, as has happened to some people .. ?

Absolutely. Anyone who has done a fraction of what Buzz has should be more than proud.
By Charles Hunt
Assuming this is the book that got made into a film in 2015, I saw it appear in the schedules and clicked record. Just watching it now. Definitely worth a look. May even encourage people to take science seriously.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This that book / that film. The film is great but the book is an order of magnitude deeper in terms of content.

The book is just great - one of my all time favourites.

ps. Massive Sengupta-eque Necropost :thumleft:
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:This that book / that film. The film is great but the book is an order of magnitude deeper in terms of content.

Completely agree: the book was rivetting, the film less so:

And the follow up book was pretty dire IMHO.

Peter
By Charles Hunt
stevelup wrote:This that book / that film. The film is great but the book is an order of magnitude deeper in terms of content.

I was quite impressed that I remembered!!
By OCB
I’ve not seen the film. Read the (e)book.

As a lifelong advocate and fan of sci-fi, and a friend of very many authors - all I can say is “da-fu????”.

It’ like explaining a joke. The very act kills the art.
By PeteSpencer
Has anyone read Artemis the sequel to the Martian?

I found it a tad underwhelming, but noticed a strlking similarity between the Heroine in Artemis and Lisbeth Salander in the Larssen 'The Girl who.......' books.
Anybody else notice this?

Or is it just me?

Peter :wink:
By skydriller
I liked the Film. I thought it was a good film.

Regards, SD..
By Buzzc150
'Artemis' was plain awful. Very amateurish, which is a great shame. Not sure if Andy Wier managed a fluke with 'The Martian' or if he rushed 'Artemis' to capitalise on his initial success.
BTW, he's a top chap . I met him briefly a year or so ago. We chatted about various Robert Heinlein novels.
By OCB
Buzzc150 wrote:'Artemis' was plain awful. Very amateurish, which is a great shame. Not sure if Andy Wier managed a fluke with 'The Martian' or if he rushed 'Artemis' to capitalise on his initial success.
BTW, he's a top chap . I met him briefly a year or so ago. We chatted about various Robert Heinlein novels.

Oooh..which RAH novels/concepts out of curiosity? I always thought that the Verhoeven film Starship Troopers was massively underrated - mainly because of the timing (1997), and the fact that nobody got the political irony. It was OTT blood and guts patriotism, gung ho yee haw with no holds barred.
By Genghis the Engineer
Yes - I was deeply unimpressed with Starship troopers when it first came out, but re-watching it since, it's grown on me massively. In particular the very clever exploitation of RH's views of a military democracy.

Incidentally, if you're an RH fan, did you see that a few years ago somebody found the original text of Stranger in a strange land and published it - considerably longer than the original form. In my opinion far better for it; but since it was published, we have developed a much greater appetite for very long novels, particularly in the SF and Fantasy genres.

G
OCB liked this