For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The two authors whose books I buy as soon as they come out are:
* C J Cherryh. Most of her books are about relationships in alien societies although she does have some hard sci fi and fantasy in her back catalogue. She's stuck to a single Japanese style milieu - which I think she got from her father, a diplomat - for her last 15 books, but the earlier ones from Downbelow Station up to Merchanter's Luck are all set in a gritty world of patched up ships and space stations. The tech is mostly in the background, but there.
* Alastair Reynolds. They're more like the late Iain M Banks - very high tech but also human. The books of his I like the most are The Prefect, probably the first successful sci-fi police procedural, and House of Suns, which is a sci-fi survival love story, but has decent phyics type stuff.

Working through the sub-pound Kindle authors at the moment. The only one that's stuck out is Randolph Lalonde but its still pretty poor stuff compared to the above.
By grindlay
I've read a lot of Alastair Reynolds too. Some I have loved but others I have found overly complex and quite boring.

What I liked about the Martian was it being set in the near future, not involving Aliens or any crazy technology. I suppose it hardly qualifies as sci-fi but more of a techno-thriller set in space. I've never come across anything quite like it but wondering if there is anything similar out there.

Thanks for the other recommends. Will definitely take a look.
By Flintstone
Should've posted weeks ago. Finished the book, worth a read, certainly different.
By Propwash
So I've been laid up for the last week with 'Flu (the last time I had anything near this was in 1978 when Hong Kong or Asian was all the rage and I'd forgotten what it was like to be so sick :( ). Once I had the motivation to actually keep my eyes open after the first day or two I started to read this book. I don't think I have ever read anything quite like it - failing my chemistry O level probably didn't help - and if I could have been doing anything else I would probably have given up on it. Being something of a captive audience I persevered and am glad I did. I actually quite enjoyed it by the end.

I have no idea if any of it stands up to scientific scrutiny, but it turned out to be a good read whether it does or not. Not quite sure how to review it on Amazon - it is definitely unusual and won't be to everybody's taste. Perhaps after my experience they should stick it on hospital library trolleys. :idea:

:wink:

PW
By Keef
There's no such thing as a "good book" or a "bad book" (apart from "the good book", but that's a different thread). It's down to what interests or stimulates the reader. Some books are pretty rubbish IMO, but there are those who like them.

I enjoyed "The Martian". My book-reviewer daughter did. My author-daughter wasn't impressed. Some will like it, some won't. I suppose the question is "Are you glad you read it?"

I read Война́ и мир several times, because I had to. I didn't enjoy it much (too much effort with the dictionary). It's still in the bookcase in the spare bedroom, where it will stay until my executors clear out. I read again Goethe's "Faust" and Horace's Odes every year or so, and enjoy them every time.
By kanga
Keef wrote:.. I read again .. Horace's Odes every year or so, and enjoy them every time.

and which is now more resonant: 'per ardua ad astra' or 'eheu fugaces' ... :)
By Keef
He's right, actually. Suddenly, I was old.

"Exegi monumentum aere perennius" I reckon, kanga.
By Barry Ward
Here are 3 books not so far mentioned that are all a good read

Fly West by Ivan Southall
Ivan Southall who was an Australian pilot flying Sunderland flyin boats with Squadron 461 tracking and trying to sink U Boats in the Bay of Biscay.

No Moon Tonight by Don Charlwood.
Don Charlwood was an Australian navigator who flew 30 missions in various bombers over occupied Europe.

Flight My Life in Mission Control by Chris Kraft
This is a in depth account by Cris Kraft who was in charge of Mission Control of most of the early human space flights including the flights to the Moon.
By TheKentishFledgling
Well I read it over the BH weekend. Definitely had the "can't put it down factor", and I really enjoyed it. Wouldn't normally class myself as a sci-fi fan, but might try some more now.

This Google Talk is worth a watch, mainly about the science in the book, but also about it's road to publication.

I'm not surprised the rights to a movie have been bought by 20th Century Fox.
By ChampChump
Thread resurrection time to thank people here for getting me to read something I would never have considered without your recommendations.

WKW picked it up when I'd finished and said not a word for a few hours until he put it down again. It's now been thrust at another friend.

I think it's a unique combination of intellect, wit, style and drama that is quite an achievement.

Many thanks, forumites.
By Keef
Here's one in a very different genre. It's by the Professor of Physics at Durham University (and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research). It's a stimulating read on some of the perennial questions of science and religion, which is one of my interests. If you don't like having your opinions challenged (in either direction) don't read it!

Faith & WIsdom in Science, by Tom McLeish.

I went to hear him in Ely a couple of weeks ago. He's a fascinating speaker (as I suppose he should be, given his position).
By PeteSpencer
Saved it up for poolside reading on hols last week.

Gripping stuff: would make a great movie IMHO.

Pretty cheap cast budget I guess.

Peter