For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
I hate the chore of grating parmesan cheese. Any good electric ones on the market ?
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This is one of those mundane tasks which I find very therapeutic.
In our household we have a little mechanical device with a hopper into which the cheese block is inserted and held compressed against a grater with a handle which is turned to produce lovely fluffy stuff.
I think we bought it from Lakeland.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Charles Hunt
Don't you have a wife?

More seriously how much are you grating? This is not something normally done in industrial quanties.

Does it taste OK on porridge?
davenuk liked this
By Pete L
I'd never imagined the dolce vita making it up to Wick - I'd always assumed Bill had salt on his porridge. It'll be rosemary with the lamb next, instead of mint sauce.
By Bill McCarthy
I think my wife keeps Lakeland going. I can see it - hold the redundancies, Mrs M has an order coming through. Grated parmesan on porridge has a certain appeal, must try it.
By JonathanB
stevelup wrote:What you need is a good grater.

Microplane 'Fine' is a joy to use.

Looks like that's to remove hard skin from your feet! ;)
By nallen
Get yourself a Microplane, Bill. The woodworking ones work grate [sorry!], and are usually cheaper than the ponced-up kitchen versions. (You need a torquey motor to grate parmesan, given the pressure you have to apply. Italian grocers in Italy often have semi-industrial graters, but I've not seen one in domestic use.)

[Crossed with JonathanB's post!]
By mancpilot

Clearly you've all been buying them in droves. That link says:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
By stevelup
Ha - sure they are available elsewhere!
By flybymike
JonathanB wrote:

Looks like that's to remove hard skin from your feet! ;)

Steve has cheesy feet.
By Sir Morley Steven
Moulinex do a rotary one which will dispatch a whole lump in seconds. Most Italian restaurants have them along with those superb gizmos for collecting crumbs and depositing them in the handle.
By HowardC
I've been using a Culinare One Touch Automatic Power Grater for three or four years now. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-C53100-Touch-Power-Grater/dp/B002DGTAQE. (Available on plenty of other sites too.)

It came with two blades and a storage pot. There's one fine blade for parmesan and other hard cheeses. The coarse blade is for softer cheeses like cheddar. It says that it can be used for grating nuts and chocolate as well but I've never bothered . I’ve never had much use for the storage pot because I grate directly over pasta or whatever. It’s battery driven and last about a year with occasional use. I guess re-chargeable could be used for more frequent use? It’s not rapid but works quickly enough to be able to spread the cheese around as it’s being grated.
By PeteSpencer
flybymike wrote:This is one of those mundane tasks which I find very therapeutic.
In our household we have a little mechanical device with a hopper into which the cheese block is inserted and held compressed against a grater with a handle which is turned to produce lovely fluffy stuff.
I think we bought it from Lakeland.

+ 1

Great gadget and can be stored full,and ready to go in the fridge.

And dishwasher proof.
By Charles Hunt
Ye Gods, have I really remembered a thread from 8 years ago?

Anyway Bill, just returned with a spare curved hand held one which works remarkably well. If you don't mind pming me an address I'll happily send it to you.