For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Ian Melville wrote:[*]
Ridders wrote:My AME recommended Costco and yup they are good quality varifocals, about 100quid cheaper than on HighStreet (boots and specsavers)

Was that's in the uk? Costco UK website only mentions sunglases.

I bought two pairs of Costco bifocal reader sunglasses for £12 (from the Farnborough Costco)- pretty good for what they are, and I keep a spare pair in my flight bag. Almost stylish!
Ridders liked this
Ah.. But from the Costco (US) website

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

A risk too far?

Rob P
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ian Melville wrote:Was that's in the uk? Costco UK website only mentions sunglases.
Yes.
I know that Croydon and Southampton both offer eye examinations and provide extensive range of glasses there. If your a member you could call them up to check if your local store has the opticians in store , before visiting.

My glasses are "CAT" (catapillar) branded. According to specsavers who checked them over a couple of months ago, the lenses are not a bad make (like all, the lenses have the maker symbol, in miniscule form, hidden on them).
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Not really. Everything in California has one of those stickers on it.

I guess the answer is just to take them off as you cross the state line?

Rob P
By cockney steve
The Oldham area Costco not only has a very comprehensive opticians, but sells tyres and petrol as well! In the case of the opticians, I weighed -up the prices some years ago, whilst cheaper than the High St. ,- they were far from cheapest.
Thanks guys, I was looking for online providers, not that I would automatically discount Asda and Costco, I don't have the free time at the moment to make a special trip to towns I don't usually visit these days. Bent glasses have straightened out, though clearly dinked, and are usable. Will go through the online recommendations and take a punt one of them for a backup.
Cheers :thumleft:
By JonathanB
Glasses Direct will send you a box of 4 frames (with clear lenses) to trial for a week for free while you decide what style you want - brilliant!
From Glasses Direct I have a couple of pairs of Scout Maverick frames (OK one's gone AWOL at the moment) a true 'Aviator' style to give an excellent field of vision and with inset D bifocals to allow chart and instrument reading, as well as peripheral vision for landing. Work well for me.