For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Sharpie
Anybody see the latest Richard Noble project - an attempt at the 1,000mph land speed barrier?

Mind boggling: at terminal velocity without the brakes or 'chute it would take eight miles to slow down!

With one hundred times the poke of an F1 car the trick, of course, is keeping the kit on terra firma. Andy Green is again the driver (pilot?) and he says: "All I have to do is keep all four wheels on the ground with the shiny side up and pointing forwards".

Good luck to 'em!
By ChipCobb
Bar Shaker put this on a while back

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79513

I donated my £10 to them and got a nice certificate confirming my wifes' name will be on the tail, she loved it and I've done my bit to help.
By bar shaker
Leiafee they will come to your school and do a presentation with science projects, if you ask them.

One of my best friends is a Bloodhound ambassador who does the school visits.

It's a fab project and its British. Best of all they are on target to have the money to actually do it.

I have my ex wife and my girlfriend's names on the wing ;)
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sharpie wrote:With one hundred times the poke of an F1 car...

An F1 car engine is fact running... the fuel pump! :shock:

bar shaker wrote:Leiafee they will come to your school and do a presentation with science projects, if you ask them.

Might give that a go. (On a day when I've got time to do the long explanatations that we're not so much a school as a place kids go to learn after leaving school when school has naffed it up...;))
By ROG
Did 130 mph with a "skilled" driver round the MOD track near croydon--frightened the life out of me -thinking if he loses it -no more flyer forum.
Wonder what the insurance wil cost--presume fully comp- not third party.
By Rotorboater
You can just see him closing in on the 1000mph and having to pull over for the white van man (with the ladders on the roof) behind flashing him :D
mmcp42 liked this
By kanga
bar shaker wrote:Leiafee they will come to your school and do a presentation with science projects, if you ask them.

the Primary School where I volunteer had them along not long ago. The kids loved it, and it seemed to fulfil the part of the Noble mission about encouraging kids to want to make 'real stuff'.
By chevvron
A wheel driven dragster can reach over 300 mph in a quarter mile but is geared down to do this. With over 3500 hp to play with and longer gearing...........
By bar shaker
Not sure how that would compare with the 110,000 bhp (equivalent) from Bloodhound's solid fuel / peroxide rocket.
By bar shaker
A victim of it's own propaganda. It's been promising that the attempt 'will be next year' for 6 years and donors have grown tired of hearing it.

Apparently it didn't happen in 2012, only so that it didn't clash with the Olympics.

Yawn.