For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By HowardC
So perhaps the answer is to.....
1) Buy a modest sized LCD that is HD ready
2) Also buy a half decent projector.

Use the LCD for "everyday" viewing.
Use the projector for special events like viewing films, F1 races, Red Bull Racing etc.
Special events..better if you can wire the sound into your hi-fi and turn the volume up.
(Yes, I know you can get cinema sound stuff but you have just paid out
By Stephen Morley
The BBC has just announced HD transmissions re sky and on freeview.

get one HD ready and with a freeview tuber.

Plasma is better for larger sizes.
By Rob P
HowardC wrote:So perhaps the answer is to.....
1) Buy a modest sized LCD that is HD ready
2) Also buy a half decent projector.

Use the LCD for "everyday" viewing.
Use the projector for special events like viewing films, F1 races, Red Bull Racing etc.
Special events..better if you can wire the sound into your hi-fi and turn the volume up.
(Yes, I know you can get cinema sound stuff but you have just paid out
By sofaman
Stephen Morley wrote:get one HD ready and with a freeview tuber.

What kind of potato gives the best reception? :D
By David Williams
Stephen Morley wrote:freeview tuber

But be careful which variety you buy. King Edwards are rapidly becoming obsolete.

The alternative is a freeview tuba, but that would just be silly.

(Sorry :oops: )

Edit: :D At least I wasn't the only one!
By Rob P
'TUBER' is what doctors write on the notes of pretty female patients I understand.

Rob P
By HaroldS
Where do people put these huge flat screens? I have a normal (fairly clapped out) telly and it is in the corner. If I was to get a flat screen then I can't see anywhere that it could go other than above a firepace and then we would all be looking up at it. Do other people have blank walls they use or am I missing something?
By sofaman
HaroldS wrote:Where do people put these huge flat screens? I have a normal (fairly clapped out) telly and it is in the corner. If I was to get a flat screen then I can't see anywhere that it could go other than above a firepace and then we would all be looking up at it. Do other people have blank walls they use or am I missing something?

Many come with stands, so you can replace your large angled box in a corner with a large flat panel. Thus gaining plenty of free space behind - useful for spiderwebs I suppose.
By Stephen Morley
I am getting one and putting it on a stand in the same place as my old one.

I suppose it could go on the wall above the fireplace but I really cant be ar$ed to do the concealed wiring.

as we watch the telly on average 6 or seven hours a week it will be nice to stick it against the wall out of the way where it cant be seen.

But the real point is the technology aint going into CRT tellies any more. If you want a decend HD ready TV with a digital tuner, Plasma or LCD is the way to go.
By HaroldS
sofaman wrote:
HaroldS wrote:Where do people put these huge flat screens? I have a normal (fairly clapped out) telly and it is in the corner. If I was to get a flat screen then I can't see anywhere that it could go other than above a firepace and then we would all be looking up at it. Do other people have blank walls they use or am I missing something?

Many come with stands, so you can replace your large angled box in a corner with a large flat panel. Thus gaining plenty of free space behind - useful for spiderwebs I suppose.

If you are putting them in the corner anyway then is it still cheaper to get a CRT or have the LCD become so cheap that it isn't worth it? Or do the LCD systems have more features such as supporting HD? Sorry to hijack the thread but I am on the same sort of subject and my telly is about on its last legs as I have to reset all kinds of menus every time I turn it on and the picture it poor.
By Rob P
I get the distinct impression that the world is heading towards the 'dumb' screen, with the tuner and speakers being separate units.

At the current count I have an analogue (DVD Recorder) and two digital tuners (PVR) in the cupboard under the old-fashioned (1993 vintage) CRT telly, also with an analogue tuner. Plus a spare digital tuner somewhere.

And I don't much like telly.

Combined units, screen / tuner / speakers have no upgrade potential and must be heading towards being the radiogram of the noughties.

But don't forget to set your vids, dvds, pvrs to record 'Always' on the box tomorrow afternoon (Thursday). Best flying movie bar none.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
HaroldS wrote:
Where do people put these huge flat screens?

] Do other people have blank walls they use or am I missing something?

We've got a nice big flat wall at the end of the room that is crying out for a nice big Council house Telly.

At present the floor space is in front of the wall occupied by a 36" CRT Sony on a stand with all the bells and whistles and more wiring than a Russian trawler and it's the first thing you see on entering the room.

I have to agree with Mrs S (who's never liked it) that its pretty ugly.

Thanks to you all for your input:

I seem to be looking for a (branded) 42" (not too big) LCD flat screen which is HDTV ready, and waiting till after Crimbo.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Many thanks chaps: Forum triumphs again.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[
quote="Rob P"]'TUBER' is what doctors write on the notes of pretty female patients I understand.

Rob P
[/quote]

Strange:

In 35 yrs in NHS I've never heard this one.

P'raps I never got any pretty female patients.

There are a coupla dozen others I can think of but then the worrds (he was a Scot) of an old Consultant who trained me in my formative years once said

"Never write anything in the notes you wouldn't be prepared to read out in open court"

Followed that one all my professional life.

How true those words turned out to be.

Peter
By Indigo
There are a coupla dozen others I can think of

FUBAR BUNDY ? :wink: