For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve just spent half a day wading through OFCOM’s latest email re revision of radio licensing process.

I negotiated the ‘aviation’ alley way and opened every live url .

Even found the application form for new/ renewal/alteration of licence.

But nowhere can I find whether I am supposed to re-apply now for our licence or whether I can wait till the current licence expires next year . The actual fee will not be disclosed and invoiced till application received .

Anybody solved this conundrum? :wink:
By ROG
Hi Pete--if your license expires NEXT YEAR--you should get a reminder 4/6 weeks before it expires.
If you want more info now you could phone
020 7981 3131 or
0300 123 1000
When I managed to talk to someone in march I found ther guy helpfull and was advised that I would get a reminder letter for next license.
By johnm
Our new licence just appeared in an email so I printed it out and stuck it in the aeroplane no money involved as the payment cycle hasn't changed.
By Smaragd
Similar to Johnm's position: I paid for licence renewal in February as normal and received the renewal with next payment due on 28/2/25. Last week (as pre-warned in various places) I received (without any action on my part) a replacement licence in the revised format, still for renewal in 2025. So repIacement in new format seems to be a separate process from renewal.
By Smaragd
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Same here..Very confusing!...The licence renewal date and the payment date are now two different dates for some obscure reason. :scratch:

Confusing, yes, but are you sure it's quite as you state? Mine doesn't state either renewal date or payment date, just "licence start date " ( 9/2/09 - correct), the date of issue (16/05/22) and payment interval of 3 years. The payment date on the old style licence is 28/2/25 - I'm assuming that is still correct.
By Shoestring Flyer
Well,..Original licence was:-
Issue date of 24/6/19..Licence start date of 1/08/19 and fee payment date of 31/07/19
Now I have:
Issue date 16/05/22...Start date 01/06/22.....
From my original licence date payment I would assume my next payment date to be 3years after the last one which would make it 31/07/22?
So as I say, it seems I either lose 2months, or they are going to take payment 2months after the start date which is bonkers either way to me!
By PeteSpencer
Thanks Guys:
I going to (not unreasonably) take it that Ofcom aren't tearing up existing licences and re-issuing them and do nothing until just before the expiry date of my current licence (also headed 'Ofcom') in two years' time (31.5.24) :wink:

I'm also assuming that that new 'updated and aligned' licence sent to me, though marked 'date of issue 23.5.22' and '3 year payment interval', does not mean it expires in May 2024.when payment is due.

Either way if I'm still extant I'll sort it in two years' time. :roll:

At least is seems we no longer need to notify every time we change the radio: the licence seems to refer to 'generic equipment' and so long as we stay within 'generic boundaries'. we're all good...............

Or are we? :lol:
By PeteSpencer
I guess the bottom line is that I ’m still confused, but I have kicked that can safely two years down the road . :lol:
By Smaragd
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Well,..Original licence was:-
Issue date of 24/6/19..Licence start date of 1/08/19 and fee payment date of 31/07/19
Now I have:
Issue date 16/05/22...Start date 01/06/22.....
From my original licence date payment I would assume my next payment date to be 3years after the last one which would make it 31/07/22?
So as I say, it seems I either lose 2months, or they are going to take payment 2months after the start date which is bonkers either way to me!

So your 24/6/19 licence is/was valid until 31 Jul coming. Your new licence issued 16 May is, I presume like mine, a licence in the new format. Have you paid anything for it? If not I would expect that you have to renew it at end July. I think the process of replacing existing licences with new format ones is independent of the renewal process. I got mine after a scheduled renewal earlier this year, you got yours in advance of a scheduled renewal?

It would of course help if, as for the the old style, the date for next payment was explicitly stated! But these days, who expects Right First Time in new systems? Cellma is still giving problems one year on.
Shoestring Flyer liked this
By PeteSpencer
I love the enigmatic paragraph on page 2 of the letter; (and I paraphrase)--

" There is no need to print off a copy of your licence but God help you if you get ramp checked at Texel" :wink:
By Dman
I`ve just got ( today ) a new licence applied for 2 months ago
Kept ringing up and they would say yes application is successful we will email invoice.
Didn`t receive invoice
Rang again, same reply.
eventually after 5 phone calls somehow they had managed to swap .co.uk for .uk.co on my email
Now bearing in mind i received the initial email telling me they had received my application, so had my correct email
By Bathman
Is anybodies radio licence compolety wrong?

I don't have UHF radio, I don't have a DME, ADF or ELT

I just find it strange that when I get rammed checked I'll get pulled up. Yet the licence that very licence tht they gave me is full of errors.
By GrahamB
I don’t have my new one to hand, but isn’t the point that your aircraft is automatically licensed to carry that equipment, whether you have it fitted or not.

Eminently sensible to me.
johnm liked this