For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yeah I know,I know, how long is a piece of string?
I was talking to our farmer/landlord today and he asked me how much a hangar big enough for four small SEPs-PA28/C152/172 would be :
I’m thinking same size as the Eastern hangar at Knettishall (see image on our websit. fersfieldflyers.co.uk -at midpoint)
I told him I had no idea but it would have to be metal/secure/lockable - poly tunnels/metal hangars with slashable flaps for doors would be useless.

I know there are several farmers on here and wonder if they could give a ballpark figure of cost( and also of ground dimensions).

Happy to be laughed out of court: it’s just that a recent drone video has shown up a very tempting lump of land in an unploughable corner of a field .

Our group has dreamt about this for years but with no capital always dismissed it out of hand ;However farmer’s ears pricked up……… :lol: He says such sheds come up from time to time in the farming mags-need to know size -…..

Any help & advice gladly received

Although no-one seems to want to buy our arrow share I get regular enquiries re hangarage (including ironically the last person to not buy our share -due to habitus-.) :wink:

TIA
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 20, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
For our compressor houses and associated buildings we used to use Flo-Steel in Letham nr Forfar.

Always found them to be very competitive on price. They can at least give you a quick quote to give a ballpark idea,
By PeteSpencer
Flyingfemme wrote:Farm buildings much cheaper than "hangars" :roll:

Yep, thanks Gill I just had an email along those lines from a Farming Forumite:

Shows how 'kin green I am.

Now, if I could persuade farmer he needs somewhere to keep a roller or sommat we'd be quids in.

He says S/H sheds come up in farming mags from time to time so he'll keep a lookout >

Meanwhile we can celebrate after nearly 2 years the arrival of our brand new 2.5 metre windsock which can be seen from Norfolk..... :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 20, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnm, Flyingfemme liked this
By eltonioni
Be prepared for any price you get now to feel like an absolute bargain in a month's time. Steel prices are going nuts and you might struggle to get a price that a contractor will stick to for more than a few days if at all.

It sounds exciting though ! :thumleft:
By PeteSpencer
eltonioni wrote:Be prepared for any price you get now to feel like an absolute bargain in a month's time. Steel prices are going nuts and you might struggle to get a price that a contractor will stick to for more than a few days if at all.

It sounds exciting though ! :thumleft:

Amazingly in the last four hours I’ve had two enquiries from folks who got our number from SD enquiring about hangarage!
Must be an omen :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 20, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eltonioni liked this