For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Thanks for the link Rob, that's one for the weekend. I hear that there's a film currently being made in the UK of The Shepherd with John Travolta in the cockpit. Presumably it's a personal curate's egg project for him so you never know, he might give it enough TLC to give Jimmy Stewart's Spirit of St Louis a run for its money.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:Thanks for the link Rob, that's one for the weekend. I hear that there's a film currently being made in the UK of The Shepherd with John Travolta in the cockpit. Presumably it's a personal curate's egg project for him so you never know, he might give it enough TLC to give Jimmy Stewart's Spirit of St Louis a run for its money.

Anybody worked out how to download it rather than just the link (against it disappearing for another five years).?

Peter
By GrahamB
PeteSpencer wrote:Anybody worked out how to download it rather than just the link (against it disappearing for another five years).?

If there's no 'download' link provided, it's probably be doable, somewhow, with some dodgy software available on the dark web.

Best stream it out loud with your cassette recorder on record hard by the speaker, a la Radio Caroline days.
By Rob P
Plenty of free apps to download sounds to your smartphone.

Then play through bluetooth speaker, smart speaker or ear pods.

I went for WavePad from the Google Play Store. I have a feeling I have used the desktop version in the past.

Rob P
By Genghis the Engineer
PeteSpencer wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Thanks for the link Rob, that's one for the weekend. I hear that there's a film currently being made in the UK of The Shepherd with John Travolta in the cockpit. Presumably it's a personal curate's egg project for him so you never know, he might give it enough TLC to give Jimmy Stewart's Spirit of St Louis a run for its money.

Anybody worked out how to download it rather than just the link (against it disappearing for another five years).?

Peter

I downloaded it in 2016 when they first broadcast it, and it was much easier.

I might in the meantime have accidentally left a downloadable copy on a fileshare site at the link below.

https://c.mail.com/@647383806533183293/ ... k1dJYSllOw

G
cotterpot, Boxkite liked this
By PeteSpencer
Got it downloaded at last .

Makes the hairs stand upon the back of my neck every time I listen to it.

Nice glass of red, though: don’t drink spirits any more :roll:

Didn’t know Lakenheath ever flew Vampires. :wink:
By Rob P V2.0
Me too. The trailer looks great with subtle use of CGI that seems to understand flight physics.

It was all going so well...

... until they got to the 'wartime' image of John Kavanaugh with designer stubble

Rob P V2.0
By Rob P V2.0
Hah! The little-known dH Vamp? It was a very early experiment in stealth aircraft, unique because whatever the light conditions it casts no shadow. However the absence of the port boom and most of the horizontal tail surfaces made it doomed project from the start.

Happy to cut it all the slack it needs, you just wish they had an historical advisor who was up to the job.

Refer back to the 1960s hairstyles now so jarring in (was it?) Mosquito Squadron.

A very welcome arrival; I'm not sure it will replace the radio version to accompany the Scotch on Christmas Eve though.

Rob P V2.0

Just bought Always on download last weekend :)
Last edited by Rob P V2.0 on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Genghis the Engineer
I know their historical advisor quite well, and I think she is up to the job. Whether they always listened to her is another question of course - I gather she wasn't even asked on that poster!

(I don't think it's any secret that she is Charlotte Bailey, author of the book Vampire Boys).

G
Last edited by Genghis the Engineer on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P V2.0 liked this
By PeteSpencer
{schoolboy spotter} Vampire -diamond shaped wing planform; Venom swept leading edge , straight trailing edge [/schoolboy spotter.]

Both flew over our house (inside Marshall's circuit) frequently in 50s and 60s from Oakington and Waterbeach ISTR, along with Gnats Hunters, Swifts, Javelins and Canberras from Bassingbourn.

(awaits correction: memory fades over more than half a century)

Ah the heady days.......... :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this