For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b0858nv3

Rob P

I must listen to that about three times a year. One of the most perfect pieces of radio ever made in my opinion.

G
By Rob P
It's my Christmas Eve treat along with a glass or three of single malt

I much prefer this version to the Canadian one that used to be all that was available

Next task is little bit of naughtiness to download it to the phone just in case they pull it from Sounds

Rob P
By Rob P
That rather depends if you like ghost stories, aviation stories, or a combination of both. It's pretty predictable, but I would recommend late in the evening, a barely lit room, a comfy chair and a Glen Garioch.

Rob P
By Rob P
Exactly so. :thumleft:

Rob P
Rob P wrote:That rather depends if you like ghost stories, aviation stories, or a combination of both. It's pretty predictable, but I would recommend late in the evening, a barely lit room, a comfy chair and a Glen Garioch.

I shall take your advice. :thumright:

Is it important the dram is Glen Garioch? :D
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
It is not a significant part of the story so I would guess not.

Rob P
Miscellaneous liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just listened. Yes, a predictable story but the sound effects are superb. They captured the feel of it all so well.
Thanks for the recommendation @Rob P

Coincidently, reminiscent of the Mossie era, I was listening to, and watching :D , an Avro Anson this afternoon. Hearing those 2 engines, watching the oh-so-gentle TO, and seeing the slllllow flight was quite fascinating.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Remember now to relisten at 11 pm every Christmas Eve.

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By Mz Hedy
Ah, I see they describe it as 'binaural' so presumably best on a decent pair of headphones rather than speakers?

I recall reading about and experimenting with binaural recording on my first stereo cassette recorder back in the last century, but I then put it in the same bin as stereo photography: interesting but ultimately not much point for general use.

I'll find time for a listen.
By Cessna571
Mz Hedy wrote:Ah, I see they describe it as 'binaural' so presumably best on a decent pair of headphones rather than speakers?

I recall reading about and experimenting with binaural recording on my first stereo cassette recorder back in the last century, but I then put it in the same bin as stereo photography: interesting but ultimately not much point for general use.

I'll find time for a listen.

Thread drift

If you listen to the footsteps at the start of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” song with proper headsets, they walk across the room.

I remember when at school one of the lads had a sound system where you could hear the footsteps cross the room.