For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JAFO
PeteSpencer wrote:
JAFO wrote:To be fair though, Peter, mockery is the very best it deserves.

To be fair to whom? The Europhobic brits ?

Or the rest of Europe who embrace it.?

To be fair to those that you accused of mockery earlier. Sorry, I thought that was entirely obvious.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You mean I got that wrong?

For two decades Terry Wogan and Graham Norton did not mock the Eurovision Song Contest in their commentaries?

Or that they did mock the Contest but that you feel this was entirely justified and reasonable and the rest of the European audience had no right to feel affronted by this?

Very ‘Little England’ :wink:
By JAFO
No @PeteSpencer, I did not mean either of the things which you chose to attribute to me.

You suggested that Terry Wogan and Graham Norton mocked the contest and I said that this was all it deserved.

At no point did I say that the rest of the European audience had no right to feel affronted by this. I have no way of knowing whether or not every single person in continental Europe who watched the British commentary between the early 1970s and last year felt affronted by the style of the commentary. If they did, they have the right to choose to feel affronted by it as do I to believe that mockery was all it deserved.

As the two gentlemen who you accused of mockery are not English then my support of their presentation style can hardly be described as 'Little England'. I just happen to think that the whole thing is largely unwatchable (except for one or two notable exceptions) and is definitely not something to be listened to as it barely qualifies for the description of being music.
Nick liked this
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:the whole thing is largely unwatchable (except for one or two notable exceptions)

How neatly you brought that back to Chanel and her spirited performance!

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By Irv Lee
Stepping away from the barely disguised p-irv-ing, i normally make a point of avoiding Eurovision, and this time due channel hopping, i did see one and was intrigued enough to watch for 2 mins, it was the Norwegian entry. I thought that was bound to end up v high up. Apparently it came last. Which shows how well 'up' I am on Eurovision.
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
JAFO wrote:the whole thing is largely unwatchable (except for one or two notable exceptions)

How neatly you brought that back to Chanel and her spirited performance!

Rob P

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, did she bleach it? :wink: