For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Several of my regular walks take me through fields of cows (and sometimes bulls).

It's never really been a problem. I tend to make sure I don't startle them, give a wide berth to any with calves, and normally they just casually move off the footpath or at least give enough room to pass.
One evening last autumn they decided to full on charge at me, which was truly terrifying. I only got away with it by 6 - 10ft, through a mix of passing behind a cow that was slow to get to its feet (and got in the way of the others), and scrambling down a grass bank (which I learnt after the event was probably a wise move). At the time I put this down as a one off incident, probably due it being late dusk/twilight and them being spooked by me. However, this week they decided to be intimidating again. Not a full-on charge, but forming a group and determinedly walking straight at me, rather than casually dispersing from the path as normal.
I'm not waving a red flag; not walking a dog; not seemingly doing anything different to the past 9 years.
Any thoughts on what might be triggering their aggression, and best tactics for if they charge? Out running them isn't an option, trust me!
By eltonioni
The fell runners favourite video

So far, so good. :P
rikur_ liked this
By rikur_
[usermention=4771]@eltonioni[/usermention] thanks for that. The 'playful' behaviour in that video is how they used to be. Ignore them, they'd ignore you, or at worse come to play. The full on aggressive charge is something else (both the determination and the speed)
By lobstaboy
Assuming you are on a public footpath (right of way) then the landowner has a duty not to keep dangerous breeds of livestock in the field. The incident may be reportable to the police.
It's not unknown for walkers to be killed by cows. I keep well clear of them and always have an escape plan.
https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/safe ... stock.aspx
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/cr ... th-3561285
By StratoTramp
It probably depends on the breed to a certain extent. I stop to walk when running, but the biggest thing is avoiding any calves / any babies! Not sure if teenage cows have a special name but they are inquisitive.

We 'almost' died in Austria because Lewis decided to try pet a baby foal, the adult horses were not impressed. :roll: It was pretty nerve wracking as night as we were wild camping and I was sleeping in one of these:

https://www.snugpak.com/tents-shelters/ ... ratosphere

Thought I'd get stepped on in the morning.

The thunderstorm didn't help either with two metal rods in front of my face :cyclopsani:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Tue May 10, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nallen
[usermention=16958]@rikur_[/usermention] Years back, I was similarly charged by a herd of cows while I was on a footpath -- scared the cr*p out of me. The next day I recounted this to a fellow student, who, it turned out, lived on a dairy farm. "It's simple," she said. "Just stand your ground and raise your hands high above your head." Some weeks later, different field, different cows, another charge. I put her advice to the test...and lo, it worked a treat. Cows stopped, and backed off. I carried on my way -- had to repeat the exercise when a couple of them made another foray towards me, but overall a success. I've had occasion to do this several times since and it's always worked. (But don't blame me if you get the herd on which it doesn't …!)
Aerials, rikur_, Milty and 4 others liked this
By Milty
What [usermention=8831]@nallen[/usermention] said. I used to be a country bumpkin and for the first 10 years of my life, lived next to a dairy farm. Spent every spare minute ‘helping out’. Learned from a young age that technique. Never failed me then or since. As to why they randomly charge… calves, calves recently taken away, sometimes worse when a bit stormy/thundery, hormones, they’re just a bit thick and if one starts something, herd mentality kicks in and they all join in but probably don’t know why. Disclaimer - this advice is not scientific and if it doesn’t work for you, sorry and hope it’s not too painful.
rikur_ liked this
By Charles Hunt
Korenwolf wrote:
> Disappointed...thought this was going to be a Rooney vs. Vardy thread :(
> :lol:

Bugrit.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.
By Charles Hunt
nallen wrote:
> [usermention=16958]@rikur_[/usermention] "It's simple," she said. "Just
> stand your ground and raise your hands high above your head."

Shouting helps. I like shouting.

Memory clicks in. Half a century ago holiday job on farm on edge of Dartmoor. Move herd of Friesian cattle plus 1 giant mad aggressive bull.

Out of field into lane, brother plus 1 ahead, I block the lane the other way, farm manager moves the cattle into the lane and off they trot in the desired direction. Except for the bull.

Eventually the bull makes it out into the lane, stops and stares at me. I make vague shooing noises and gestures. "Shout at'n Charles" encourages the farm manager who is safely some distance behind the blunt end of the beast.

I try again shouting and waving, to no effect. Farm manager hurls walking stick or similar at bull which looks sternly at me, and then to my infinite relief storms off in the opposite (desired) direction.

At which point my brother and the young farm hand take up the story. They describe the scene as the herd of placid plodding females parting like the sea of Galilee for Moses as the enraged bull charges through.

They made it over a fence in time.
Last edited by Charles Hunt on Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
Do not get between bull and cows though it's quite rare for them to be together, do not get between cows and calves otherwise the advice above is what I have been doing successfully for aeons.
By Miscellaneous
I sometimes wonder if cows don't exist in other countries given the number of tourists who stop to take photographs of them, often blocking the road in the process. To be fair it is usually Highland cows, which I accept will be a bit more unusual, but not always. :roll:
T6Harvard liked this
By Cessna571
To the OP.

Were they dairy?

There was a problem a few years back, I can’t find the breed, but there was an imported breed that was slightly bigger, so very productive, but flippin aggressive.

4 or 5 people were trampled one summer.
This was around 10 years ago I reckon, one of them was just down the road from me when I was living in Yorkshire.

They looked a bit like an Aberdeen Angus..
I.e. they had a prominent bit between their front legs.

I’ve always kept away from cows since.

Was attacked by a Tup (sheep) once. That was hilarious, it was like being persuaded to leave a field by a large ball of wool.
Didn’t kick, just barged.
(Was my field too!)
By lobstaboy
I have a marvellous memory of a teenage daughter of friends while we were walking up a hill looking over Loch Lomond standing admringthe view while a Hielan' coo crept up behind her until the end of one of its horns appeared in the corner of her eye over her shoulder.
My, how she screamed! Audible on the other side of the water at least.
Bit cruel not to have warned her, but her parents told me to shush. The anticipation was electric for about a minute.

It didn't do her any harm - she's a vet now.