For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:
> To the OP.
>
> Were they dairy?
I'm fairly sure they're a beef breed. Picture of the bull below. He's fine, never bothers me.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/OImG5dn.jpg[/img]
By kanga
lobstaboy wrote:
>..
>
> It didn't do her any harm - she's a vet now.

large or small animal practice ? :)

[as I may have posted before; slight drift :oops: ..]

Many decades ago I was staffing an Air Cadet (Easter) Camp which (then unusually) had Squadrons from two different Wings, Merseyside and Gloucestershire (before latter merged with Bristol Wing). I'm a Scouser now living in Gloucs ..

We had warned our Cadets that they must bring a padlock for theeir bedside lockers but must be very, very, careful not to lock the key inside the locker. Inevitably, on the first (Saturday) night one of our Cadets did, with his toiletries towel and nightwear inside. Panic was great but shortlived because one of the Merseyside Cadets opened the padlock with a bent pin in ~30 seconds, to great amusement of his colleagues but resentment of the Gloucs Cadets.

The next day the Cadets were assigned to mixed-Wing Flights and were sent out on a competitive mapreading exercise round the Public Footpaths across local fields. One field had frisky bullocks in it. The Merseyside Cadets were terrified, having never been close to a large farm animal loose before. The Gloucs Cadets with them shood them out of the way confidently.

Honours were even. The rest of the Camp week went well :)
By Dman
Please remember that a field with livestock in is part of a farmers business
If you see cattle in a field, especially if they have calves with them, then just think do you really nned to walk through that field,
It`s a lot to ask if you expect a farmer not to use fields for livestock just because there is a footpath and someone on a jolly wants to walk through it

Rant over
Cessna571, T6Harvard, Aerials and 3 others liked this
By lobstaboy
Dman wrote:
> Please remember that a field with livestock in is part of a farmers
> business
> If you see cattle in a field, especially if they have calves with them,
> then just think do you really nned to walk through that field,
> It`s a lot to ask if you expect a farmer not to use fields for livestock
> just because there is a footpath and someone on a jolly wants to walk
> through it
>
> Rant over

Sorry, no. That's not an acceptable viewpoint. Footpaths are established rights of way and the public are legally entitled to use them. There are limitations on how they can be used and the quid pro quo is that they should be safe to use. The county council is responsible for seeing that this is so.
https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/path ... y-law.aspx
In particular, note point 6 on the page I've linked to - the path is considered to be owned by the highway authority. Not many people realise that.
StratoTramp liked this
By Bill McCarthy
They are just very curious, excited about a field change, or, here comes the feed bags.
However, if there is a bull in with them and he starts bellowing, scraping the ground with his front hooves, give them a wide berth.
They will attack a dog, calves with them or not, and don’t try to disperse your dog - he will stay with you out of fear, meaning, the lot are going to close in on you.
By TheFarmer
90% of the time they are being inquisitive, and if you stand and face them they'll get within a metre of you and stop, and just stare at you. The trouble is, as soon as you turn to walk away, they come right up behind you and will nudge you. It can be disconcerting. If you walk towards them they tend to disperse, albeit temporarily. The best thing to do is to try and avoid going near them in the first place, which avoids them coming over.

The other 10% of the time, and normally when they have calves at foot, you need to be really careful. I've been butted, trampled and pushed up against a concrete wall by a young cow who thought I was going to harm her calf (I was only trying to give it an ear tag). They will quite literally trample you to death if they decide to, and their weight/strength is frightening. I escaped by sticking a finger in its eye and limping away to the gate before it could find me. I was very lucky indeed.
rikur_, AndyR, Nick and 1 others liked this
By Cessna571
lobstaboy wrote:
> Dman wrote:
> > Please remember that a field with livestock in is part of a farmers
> > business
> > If you see cattle in a field, especially if they have calves with them,
> > then just think do you really nned to walk through that field,
> > It`s a lot to ask if you expect a farmer not to use fields for livestock
> > just because there is a footpath and someone on a jolly wants to walk
> > through it
> >
> > Rant over
>
> Sorry, no. That's not an acceptable viewpoint. Footpaths are established rights of
> way and the public are legally entitled to use them. There are limitations on how
> they can be used and the quid pro quo is that they should be safe to use. The county
> council is responsible for seeing that this is so.
> https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/path ... y-law.aspx
> In particular, note point 6 on the page I've linked to - the path is considered to be
> owned by the highway authority. Not many people realise that.

It’s basically the same as the cyclists/motorists debate isn’t it.

You only have to see a few lambs mauled by dogs (I have) and it does start to change your viewpoint about how benign walkers are.

Litter is a massive issue from Ramblers / walkers.

Like I say, it’s the same as cyclists really, the bad ones don’t half give all the others a bad name, and there are plenty of bad ones.

It is important to consider that fields form part of a farmers livelihood.
johnm, rikur_, Aerials and 1 others liked this
By lobstaboy
I'm not defending rude or inconsiderate behaviour.
Mrs L is a bit short-sighted but only wears glasses for driving. A good technique when out walking to get her to hurry along a bit is to point to the nearest cows and say nonchalantly, "See that big brown one? It looks like a bull to me."
StratoTramp liked this
By rikur_
lobstaboy wrote:
> Dman wrote:
> > business
>
> Sorry, no. That's not an acceptable viewpoint.

I'm not sure it's that binary. We've got one area where cattle graze a 500 acre common, which is the only practical way between a few places. That said, the complete lack of common sense and respect for fields by some during the lockdowns wasn't really defensible either. A bit of sensible equilibrium seems to be re-establishing.
StratoTramp liked this
By Dman
lobstaboy wrote:
> Dman wrote:
> > business
> > If you see cattle in a field, especially if they have calves with them,
> > then just think do you really nned to walk through that field,
> > It`s a lot to ask if you expect a farmer not to use fields for livestock
> > just because there is a footpath and someone on a jolly wants to walk
> > through it
> >
> > Rant over
>
> Sorry, no. That's not an acceptable viewpoint. Footpaths are established rights of
> way and the public are legally entitled to use them. There are limitations on how
> they can be used and the quid pro quo is that they should be safe to use. The county
> council is responsible for seeing that this is so.
> https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/path ... y-law.aspx
> In particular, note point 6 on the page I've linked to - the path is considered to be
> owned by the highway authority. Not many people realise that.

I think you will find the landowner owns the path, and the local council is responsible for protecting the right of way.

As a landowner who has a right of way through the middle of our farm, we are allowed to put livestock in a field with a footpath in it. We are not allowed to put certain breeds of bull in that field. And any bulls under 10 month old must be accompanied by cows and or heifers.
Warning notices should only be displayed if there is a bull in the field
Here`s the link if you want to read the government websitehttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/publ ... sibilities

The stupid bit is that footpaths are so rigid, why can a landowner not temporarily divert a path so that fields can be safely grazed.
StratoTramp, Nick liked this
By rikur_
Dman wrote:

> The stupid bit is that footpaths are so rigid, why can a landowner not temporarily
> divert a path so that fields can be safely grazed.
Indeed. We've got one where the footpath according to the definitive map follows a different route to the route that everyone uses. Application lodged with the DMO to amend it to match the route being used, but objections received from a national quango that the alteration would be detrimental to users, and amendment declined. The daft bit is that means we're free to obstruct the route that people use, and obliged to preserve the route they don't use.
By Miscellaneous
rikur_ wrote:
> Indeed. We've got one where the footpath according to the definitive map follows a
> different route to the route that everyone uses. Application lodged with the DMO to
> amend it to match the route being used, but objections received from a national
> quango that the alteration would be detrimental to users, and amendment declined.
> The daft bit is that means we're free to obstruct the route that people use, and
> obliged to preserve the route they don't use.

Ach, you don't know how easy you have it. :D The misunderstood Freedom to Roam north of the border creates some interesting situations. We once had a camper van parked in the drive about 10 feet from the lounge window, left running until I eventually went out to see what was going on. They were French. On another occasion a family parked in the drive and set up their picnic on the lawn. This was an enclosed garden, albeit the gate was open. We were not home at the time. Both occurrences were our previous home.

Next door neighbour's here had a motorhome park in their drive (blocking access) and set up to spend the night (the views are good). On being asked to move along they cited their understanding that they had the Right to Roam anywhere in Scotland. :D They were German.
rikur_ liked this
By PeteSpencer
Korenwolf wrote:
> Disappointed...thought this was going to be a Rooney vs. Vardy thread :(
> :lol:

I’m with Colleen : amazing detective work .

Sadly as the pre-trial judge tried to point out it will cost both sides millions and only the lawyers will win. :roll: