For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Aerotech Flyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, another long term Revolut card user here to give it a recommendation. Long haul airline pilots are so bloody tight, thus I always follow their forum chats on the best cards, phones, sims etc. to use abroad. :roll: :lol:
I've used it all around the world since it first came out and I particularly like the immediate updates on my phone and the ability to track and resend amounts to regular accounts in difference currencies. Never let me down yet. I pay for handling, avgas, downroute hotels and never get refused wherever I am so far.
I also use it to pay my monthly Eurocontrol fees in Euros into their British account without issue, which is something I hear lots of other pilots moaning about.
So big thumbs up :thumleft:
Cheers
AF
By archerflyer
I've used Revolut for years now all over Europe & the Caribbean and never had any issues using it for small transactions, large transactions, small shops, kiosks etc. I also find the exchange rates to be competitive and find it easy transferring between friends too.

strong recommendation from me
Flying_john liked this
By skydriller
Just recieved an Email from Wise... fees increasing... :(
By riverrock
Various credit and debit cards have zero foreign transaction fees and the exchange rates aren't bad. Zero hassle.
For Revolut you get one foreign transfer a month if you pay for the premium plan? Is it worth it if you aren't a very regular foreign traveler?
By PeteSpencer
riverrock wrote:
> Various credit and debit cards have zero foreign transaction fees and the
> exchange rates aren't bad. Zero hassle.
> For Revolut you get one foreign transfer a month if you pay for the premium
> plan? Is it worth it if you aren't a very regular foreign traveler?

Yep:
I use Halifax Clarity card for this: Zero fees for overseas online stuff or purchases in country.
Makes a difference cf bank charges for stuff like Jepp subscriptions payable in Euros.
By riverrock
I have Nationwide CC and Flex Plus Debit cards for this. Can't remember the last time I wanted to transfer money abroad rather than just pay for things.
By Rob P
Zero fees are all very well, but at the end of the day it is the exchange rate that counts.

Up to this month I have always used FairFX. Today for a 1,000€ transfer they were selling at £1.1776.

Revolut came in at £1.2043. This on their free, no subscription account.

Obviously I have no way of knowing what Clarity would be selling at.

[usermention=10739]@riverrock[/usermention] "For Revolut you get one foreign transfer a month if you pay for the premium plan?" I have no idea what this means. It doesn't seem to match what I am getting on the free account, where the main downer is you are limited on the ATM withdrawals you can make each month before they start charging for them.

Rob P
By riverrock
For comparison, visa rate just now is 1.205225 so within a hairs breath of Revolut ( I think I remember reading that Revolut is generally better Mon-Fri, visa better at weekends)
Rob P liked this
By riverrock
Rob P wrote: [usermention=10739]@riverrock[/usermention] "For Revolut you get one
> foreign transfer a month if you pay for the premium plan?" I have no
> idea what this means. It doesn't seem to match what I am getting on the
> free account, where the main downer is you are limited on the ATM
> withdrawals you can make each month before they start charging for them.

See https://www.revolut.com/our-pricing-plans
By Rob P
That made me laugh!

I seem to be getting a much better deal than that. Then I found out that somewhere along the line I signed up for Premium. :lol:

Rob P
By archerflyer
regarding the Monday - Friday comment for Revolut, we use the card over the weekened as a normal debit card, but we do only exchange currency Mon-Friday when the market is open. The exchange rates for converting over the weekend do seem to always be poorer, and below the Friday close - if you're aware you can plan around it.

the 200 per month cash limit doesn't impact us, as we rarely use cash and on the ocassions we have, the 200 limit has been fine for us as we can each take 200 from our accounts.
By PeteSpencer
riverrock wrote:
> If you put the rate in for yesterday on that site for comparison alone you
> get 1.202427 which is identical to Revolut.

Today rate on Mastercard is 1.209748 and Clarity has no bank charges

Any road up, Classic FM, that font of financial know-how says one G B pound buys €1.20