For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
I have just signed up for this to pay a specific debt abroad. I have done a search and there has been nothing posted here since about 2019.

Any thoughts on its use and effectiveness? It seems pretty slick and hassle free on first acquaintance.

Is it accepted by 'pay at pump' in France, always an issue with pre-paid FX cards?

Rob P
By Trent772
Not sure about Revolut, but I use a Wise card for foreign stuff. Has a chip and pin, so should be OK.
By Rob P
What has impressed me is that all the guy in Malta needed to give me was his mobile number and I can now drop him the money direct, at today's exchange rate.

That is pretty convenient for me, and for him.

Rob P
By Rob P
From what I read Wise is pretty much the same as FairFX that I currently use when abroad, which is essentially a pre-paid card.

The annoying thing is that it rarely works in filling stations, as I understand it because you may not have enough in the account to cover the cost (an unknown until you fill up) of a tankful.

Rob P
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not familiar with the card side of it unfortunately. We use Wise for paying contractors outside the UK, and it is their preferred method (I think these guys are pretty clued up on exchange rates, speed of transfer, etc).
By nallen
Rob P wrote:
> From what I read Wise is pretty much the same as FairFX that I currently
> use when abroad, which is essentially a pre-paid card.
>
> The annoying thing is that it rarely works in filling stations, as I
> understand it because you may not have enough in the account to cover the
> cost (an unknown until you fill up) of a tankful.
>
Not entirely: Wise creates a bank account, with an IBAN, etc., with all that enables. (For example, for reasons associated with the vagaries of Italian banking, I pay my Italian mobile phone monthly charge by direct debit from my Wise account.) Big fan of Wise in general -- their transfer system works very well. (If you go that route, I'll send you a recommendation: I've nearly clocked up enough to get a reward.)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyingfemme
Another fan of Wise - I have used it for business and personal payments for years. It's cheap and efficient once set up.

Equally my SiL uses Revolut when travelling and swears by it.........
By Flyin'Dutch'
The Revolut card is OK but is not the same as a true-debit card when using abroad. Shops only accepting debit cards quite often cannot use it to accept payment. However Revolut is pretty good on getting money out of ATMs when abroad.

For paying bills abroad I have found Wise - previously Transferwise - the best as their charges are the lowest, their service the quickest and easiest. Better than Fair FX.

Hope that helps.

Rob, if it is a poxy amount ping me.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
> Rob, if it is a poxy amount ping me.

That's very generous Frank, but I really can't let you pay off my debts, however small.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Not to worry - I would have charged extra at your next medical.

But if it is bigger and you want me to pay and you me back on my UK account/UK Paypal then that is fine too.

Ditto if it is to receive funds from an African Prince/Princess - we can share!
townleyc liked this
By Rob P
Well it appears that Revolut got the money (84€) to Malta rather efficiently.

The trickiest part was finding my way through the app to make the GBP/Euro transfer. But then I suppose you'd expect a bit of a learning curve.

If I'm not befuddled, as the prosecco is open, each euro cost me 82.66p

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TomWW
We have used Revolut for several years now. It's always been good for us and has saved a lot of money over the years.

Transfers are easy and cost is low, you can use it for purchases in Euro or Dollars. Or as I did last week Norwegian Krona.

Her indoors has a second card on the account. I can't remember ever having a problem with it.
By AndyR
I use Monzo, mainly for use abroad. I’ve also paid for fuel with it in France and Italy. The savings are substantial when you make quite a few smaller transactions in Europe. Also the app is simple to use and keeps you totally up to date.