For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> I have a Santander Zero mastercard.
As do I.
By Mad Girl
Has anyone thought about a set of starling bank accounts?? GBP, euro and us$ (if you want it).

I have a sterling bank account to which I can transfer money from my usual uk bank account.

Online, I can transfer that into a euro account at a good rate of exchange. The charge is 0.04%. And gave me a rate better than taking out lots of cash from post office before travel.

The Mastercard debit card (contactless) works on both sterling and euro account depending which country I’m in and how you’ve set it up. I can pay euros by bank transfer as well.

I haven’t been charged any atm charges for cash and there are no restrictions on withdrawals other than 300 euro per day. No other charges for the service.

Sterling also does dollars the same way, same card.

Just a thought.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mad Girl wrote:
> The charge is 0.04%. And gave me a rate better than taking out lots of cash
> from post office before travel.

For years I've traveled with almost no cash and taken any out as needed from a local ATM for no charges, at the VISA / MasterCard rate. Different if you are semi living in that location, so need to do direct debits or doing direct bank transfers (but then you would want access to the local BACS equivalent presumably?).
By Mad Girl
There are still some parts of the world which are still not too tech savvy… Sicily is one of them.

Hubby and I usually do things in cash down there as far less hassle or less opportunities for things to go wrong…

Our friends recently managed to lock two of their cards when terminal “communications” weren’t good. A right pain to sort as one of the cards would only unlock in the UK!