For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I've not long bought a GoPro 10 and thought that I had better get around to some editing.

I installed Quik for Mac but rapidly decided it was somewhat lacking to the point of it no longer being supported by it's developers.

Any recommendations for intuitive and easy to use editing software?

TKB
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Many thanks for advice. I will give that a whirl.

I’m an editing virgin so stand by for a regular stream of questions! :o
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Out numbered but I don't have a Mac. :lol: I use DaVinci Resolve. Fully featured and free. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... bQQAvD_BwE

Pretty easy just to do simple cuts. But plenty of extra stuff, if you want to go further. Can use it to make youtube thumbnails and even colour correction.

By stevelup
Yep, Resolve is great. Cross platform and free for personal use.

It has a steeper learning curve than iMovie though. It’s my go to recommendation for non-Mac users.
By Trent772
However.....

Make sure that whatever system you use can actually cut files. iMovie is an assembler, it knows where the bits are and can seamlessly put the finished video together, but as a GoPro creates such huge files, you need to be able to slice the raw footage and dump the dross.

I kind of gave up, because I couldn't find a cheap or free software system that could actually cut and dump source material.

I hope someone can enlighten me and I will return to GoProing....
By stevelup
Once you've rendered your final output you can ditch your original files.

No modern software actually edits the original files - it's hugely inefficient, plus it's destructive.
By skydriller
Agree with @Trent772 , getting rid of footage with large go-pro files is essential.
Q for Imovie peeps. GF uses Imovie - Is there a way to add text that isnt a title or footer mid movie? We like to add the location names to photos/video of trips for 5seconds or so... basic MS movie-maker does this, but it is now too old to deal with large go-pro files.

Regards, SD..
By stevelup
There's no limit to the number of titles you can add to a timeline, and you can freely drag them around and set the duration.

The one you want is probably Titles > Lower