For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Team

Considering the installation of a smart lock.

Who has first hand experience and recommendations? A question for me is whether to add a bridge and Wifi connection; so far I have never had the need to open a door other than when in front of it, maybe I have led a sheltered life!

Considering ABUS, TEDEE, Nuki 3.0 (quiet at the back!), Danalock V3.0
Colonel Panic liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:so far I have never had the need to open a door other than when in front of it

Well yes, exactly... Im trying to think why I would need to open a door by wifi.
By stevelup
Yes, and there are other benefits such as granting access to cleaners / pet feeders etc., without having to issue physical keys. You can simply revoke their access when no longer needed.

I have no first hand experience, but given only one of the ones on your list is actually made by a respectable lockmaker, I'd personally be exploring the ABUS option first!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyingfemme
Often used in air bnb places or for letting in staff/contractors with smartphone keys that can be time limited and changed. I looked at them a couple of years ago and the claims/,reviews werenot all good. Some only available overseasand support not always great. Gave up and still use metal keys........
By eltonioni
Test it with a big magnet. More than likely an electronic lock is operated by an unprotected solenoid and will simply open.

If I know this, so do burglars. What they don't know is which flower pot is hiding a spare key hidden inside a dog poo bag.

By Flyin'Dutch'
@eltonioni They're not.

@Flyingfemme There are keypads you can use for those uses.

@stevelup The first electric bikes made my legacy bike makers were not the best available - they have bow mostly caught up. ABUS not always best in tests. Surprised you don't have one yet!
eltonioni liked this
By v6g
Having worked in the tech industry for nigh on a quarter of a century, designing products of various types ... in my home life I like to avoid the use of anything that describes itself as "smart".

"Eco" is another similar word to avoid.
Mz Hedy, Charles Hunt liked this
By stevelup
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Surprised you don't have one yet!

Front door is still the original one that was on the house. It has many gouges out of it from bringing stuff in and out during DIY.

Last bit of DIY in progress now, so will finally replace the front door and will probably do something smart at that point.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rjk983 wrote:What happens in a power cut? Does it fail locked and have a physical key?

The locks are powered by an internal battery (rechargeable) and its steered by BlueTooth from your phone, so independent from the grid. You can operate them from the outside with a normal key; from the inside with a knob.

The batteries need charging once or twice a year.
Rjk983 liked this
By Lerk
I put a Yale ENTR system (rebadged something else) on the front door to prevent lost keys.

The system is modular so you can build it as you like. I went for a fingerprint scanner/pin pad which other than an appetite for AA batteries to rival a Bose A20 works fairly reliably.

The system ‘hangs’ off the back of a standard euro lock so is very easy to fit/remove, but needs a specific ENTR cylinder.

Once fitted the door can operate to automatically lock itself or left as a manual lock - we have ours lock automatically so our door is always locked.
You can also link to the lock motor direct with Bluetooth so can open the door with your phone and this can also send ‘keys’ to guests to allow access when required.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By StratoTramp
Check whatever you pick hasn't appeared on the lockpicking lawyers channel or that if it has he says it is difficult :lol:

Oh and make sure it has nothing to do with 'Master' Lock.

That said almost everyone's house In the UK with a Yale is easy to break into. It's mostly for day to day security.

He started the channels as things to do with cyber security get frequent updates. Mechanical locks haven't seen much innovation in 100+ years. So are a huge vulnerability. Obviously you might think showing people how to unlock them on the web doesn't help but it adds pressure to the major manufacturers to be better.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this