For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a calibrated fuelhawk for the Cherokee , Max 50 USG as I have a universal one which I will need to calibrate. If you do have and could post a photo against a ruler that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation
jcouch148atgmaildotcom
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
jcouch wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a calibrated fuelhawk for the Cherokee , Max 50 USG as I have a universal one which I will need to calibrate. If you do have and could post a photo against a ruler that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation
jcouch148atgmaildotcom

I’m not familiar with guts of a Cherokee tank, but I wouldn’t want to use a stick that was calibrated for an aircraft other than mine.

It’s not that hard to do and you know you have something that is tuned to your specific tanks.
By GrahamB
cotterpot wrote:With such angled tanks the only calibration you need, and can rely on is Full or Tabs. And know your fuel use figure.
Was in a PA28 group for 10 years and never used a dipstick (probably because we didn't have one) :wink:

The problem with that can be when you are trying to depart with a specific amount of fuel for mass and balance or performance purposes.

I have a JPI that monitors fuel flow, and tells me all sorts of stuff, but I always check its ‘Fuel Remaining’ figure by dipping the tanks before setting off.
Since the OP was sparse in describing quite what a "fuelhawk" is, I looked it up. They charge £15.50

I found a piece of round wooden dowel in my scrap bin. Even at B&Q Aviation Supply prices, it costs no more than £2.27 for a 900 millimetre length of 1/2 inch thick round dowel (enough for at least two aircraft). Shape is not important; square or whatever.

Calibrate it yourself from empty tanks for your specific aircraft, every so often (so-many litres, USG, Imperial gallons, whatever) using a magic marker, and add a cross-piece (like a cruciform) to prevent it accidentally falling in like all those plastic ones are prone to do and becoming invisible once in the tank.

Hope that helps.
By PeteSpencer
We have both: a flat batten a bit like an old 12 inch ruler but thicker and longer marked in 4B pencil and painstakingly created by a gp member in Imp Galls well over 30 years ago .
And a plastic tube( I guess like a fuel hawk) calibrated by a member ten years ago in imp galls, US galls and litres I know which one I like…., :roll:
Rob L liked this