For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:Most fords in my neck of the woods( very few) at least have a black and white post with depth measurements at the deepest point to aid morons.

The one at Rufford appears to be in feet and be yellow and black. That must be the reason that people ignore it...
(and how many people know the depth their vehicle can go through anyway)
By Irv Lee
PeteSpencer wrote:Most fords in my neck of the woods( very few) at least have a black and white post with depth measurements at the deepest point to aid morons.

I know someone (retired RAF Doctor) who took a short cut from the a27 to a36 near the Hants/Wilts border and thought the post had been swept away in very heavy rain the previous week. He found out the hard way that it hadn't, the top of it was still submerged.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
When we lived in the Dales there were roads that regularly flooded.

We used to keep a pair of wellies in the boot and walk the flood to check depth.

Our limit was top of the wellies for the Golf.

We learnt from a fire crew that were doing some pumping and a tractor driver pulling cars out. (From a flood we were able to drive through in a Golf)

Always walk it first.

ALWAYS and I mean always, keep to the middle of the road. The camber on the roads there is amazing.
By mick w
I'll never forget when once touring the Lakes in the 60's ,ina Mini , I was crossing a shallow Slate Ford ,and stopped for a laugh in the middle , all ok until I set off again ,the Wheels spun the Slate out from underneath them ...you can guess the rest !! :oops: :evil: