For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having achieved the first grass cut of the year I took the opportunity to have the first barbecue last weekend.

Nothing special, just burnt sausages and burgers. It took longer to clean it from last year than it did to cook/char the food.

I understand there may be a couple of Alpha type personalities on the forum, any recipes tips etc?
Last edited by Rjk983 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Trent772 wrote:Ahhh - the unmissable crackle of burning spiders and the waft of earthiness as you burn off the fungus and moss.

Or is that just in Yarksheer :mrgreen:

Shame; spiders do a lot of good in the garden :wink:
Trent772 liked this
By Rob P
We did our first one a couple of weeks back. Last night would have been ideal but the timings didn't work out.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Has anyone bought/used a 'Pizza stone' on a (gas) barbeque?

If so, what was the result? I ask because:

I am a pizza hater (they give me indigestion) but on Mothering Sunday my son did home made pizzas (actually we all made our own-great fun) in his Ooni woodfired pizza oven and it was bloody lovely.

So much so that, though I don't want to buy a Ooni,( they ain't cheap) I understand that you can buy 'pizza stones' for barbies and I'm thinking of giving it a try .

However the temperature in the Ooni was massive (400 deg C+ ;he has an infra red thermometer) and the pizzas were cooking in 90 seconds.

I'm interested to see if a barbie can reach the appropriate temperature for a pizza stone,

Any first-hand experiences or views very welcome. :wink:
By TheKentishFledgling
Realise you asked about gas, but I use a Weber stone on a Weber coal BBQ. I’ll use charcoal when using the stone, and get them as hot as possible (chimney is useful). Then coals on, lid on for five minutes, vents fully open. Five minutes or so later, stone on. Let it get hot and then cook.

It’s very good for one or two but after that the heat drops off quickish. Had mediocre luck removing the stone (carefully!) and getting the coals white hot again, but never as good.

I’m lucky that my friendly neighbour lets me use his Roccbox whenever - amazing bit of kit. If he moved I’d seriously think about buying one.
By Milty
@PeteSpencer

I’ve got a pizza stone for a decent quality gas BBQ and frankly it’s average at best.

Having cooked in a proper pizza oven too, it’s a combination of base heat and general air temperature which you can’t reach on a gas BBQ. Save your money on a stone and spend it on a few beers when you pop round to your sons place.
By PeteSpencer
Thanks all:

Looks do-able so I've ordered a pizza stone and will report back;

The barbie has a thermometer scale in the lid which goes up waaay past 400deg , so it might just work. :wink: