For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I like BBQ food but Im carp at BBQing, even though I have a traditional "French BBQ chimney". The last BBQ at my house was at the end of the summer 2019 when some Forumites flew in on the last day of the Fraduno and volunteered to do a BBQ... 8) :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
I bought a Weber several years ago but every time I get it out, or even think about getting it out, it guarantees rain. On a cloudless sky I could flash it up but then I’d get serene (rain from a cloudless sky). I’ll wait until there’s a severe drought !
By Milty
PeteSpencer wrote:Thanks all:

Looks do-able so I've ordered a pizza stone and will report back;

The barbie has a thermometer scale in the lid which goes up waaay past 400deg , so it might just work. :wink:

Apologies if this seems to accuse you of not knowing the difference between F and C (not the intent), but are you sure that your BBQ goes above 400C? I've got a reasonably decent Char-Broil BBQ and that won't get to 400C (750F) - max is about 350 but I doubt it would get there and hold it for long once you open the lid and put something on the stone. Weber's much the same. Weber charcoal grill max temp is about 250C.

Just trying to help you manage expectations.
By PeteSpencer
Milty wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Thanks all:

Looks do-able so I've ordered a pizza stone and will report back;

The barbie has a thermometer scale in the lid which goes up waaay past 400deg , so it might just work. :wink:

Apologies if this seems to accuse you of not knowing the difference between F and C (not the intent), but are you sure that your BBQ goes above 400C? I've got a reasonably decent Char-Broil BBQ and that won't get to 400C (750F) - max is about 350 but I doubt it would get there and hold it for long once you open the lid and put something on the stone. Weber's much the same. Weber charcoal grill max temp is about 250C.

Just trying to help you manage expectations.

You're right of course: :roll:

I had nipped out onto the patio and only partly lifted the cover to squint at the gauge by torchlight!: Our Outback scale goes to 380 deg C and its deg F equivalent on scale.

Too late now, I've ordered the stone: I guess cooking will merely take a bit longer, after all we've been cooking pizzas for years for the grandkids in the kitchen oven which seems only to go up to 300deg C................. :wink:

I'll let you know!
Milty liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:I like BBQ food but Im carp at BBQing, even though I have a traditional "French BBQ chimney". The last BBQ at my house was at the end of the summer 2019 when some Forumites flew in on the last day of the Fraduno and volunteered to do a BBQ...

So *that's* why you left the barbecuing up to us!

Still drinking the elderflower cordial by the way! Hasn't gone off... (kept in my fridge) Must get the bottle back to you when I eventually finish it.

When the local Homebase was closing down, they had those pizza oven things half price. I was thinking of buying one but then I thought I might not have a place to put it so I didn't. Maybe I should have!
By PeteSpencer
TheKentishFledgling wrote:The thermometer on my Weber stops about 320 degrees C. However with a chimney full of white coals, the guage will hit the stop within 20-30 seconds of the lid going on - I've no doubt at all it reaches far in excess of the 320 red line!

Of course there is a downside to cooking at these screamingly high temperatures, (and this is highlighted in Ooni's own promotional video) and this is that you have to be pretty vigilant during cooking:

Especially in the wood burning pizza oven where the fire is located at one end of the oven; unless you turn the pizza several times in the 90 seconds the crust will get burnt , or as my wife found out to her dismay, actually catch fire................. :(
StratoTramp liked this
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:BBQ? it's bliddy snowing here this morning!

Tell me about it: I've been trying to pick up the arrer from annual near Wattisham for the last three days.

Norwich (nearest to strip) and Wattisham (next door to CAMO) giving TAFs of SHRASN,SHRA, SHSN, SHGS ,CBs and wind 25G35. Winds at strip est 24kt right across. Low level winds 02/35 all levels.

And we've got snow in Bury too................. :roll:
By Milty
[usermention=396]@PeteSpencer[/usermention] probably doesn’t make a lot of sense without the full quotes in this thread but how did you get on with your bbq pizza stone?
By PeteSpencer
Very disappointing@milty .

I even bought an infrared thermometer : temp got to 380 deg .

My mistake was to make all the pizzas up in a row then cook them in turn . This meant that oil on the first made pizzas had leached through the dough and burned on t he stone.

Made a real mess of the stone which can’t be fully cleaned .

So make pizza and cook it immediately next time.

Also in my enthusiasm my seafood pizza was loaded too deep so that the tuna/anchovies /prawns cooked at different rates and the base burnt black!

Several lessons learned for next time :(
Milty liked this
By OCB
First barbecue was done several weeks ago - mainly cos I don’t have to clean the kitchen after cooking sausages or chicken legs etc.

As for pizza, it’s been years I’ve fancied trying the BakerStone (or similar?) system. About 6 years ago I talked to a senior colleague of mine about the BakerStone - he was very skeptical - but decided to get one.

It wasn’t perfect, and he had to improvise some stuff, but in the end he said it was the best thing he’d bought in years. His grand-kids had an entire birthday party around preparing pizza, which was basically making dough, then putting toppings on + papy baking the mini pizza.

He said it was the cheapest + simplest young kids party he’d ever done, including when he was a parent!
By 100poundburger
PeteSpencer wrote:
> Has anyone bought/used a 'Pizza stone' on a (gas) barbeque?
>
> If so, what was the result? I ask because:
>
> I am a pizza hater (they give me indigestion) but on Mothering Sunday my
> son did home made pizzas (actually we all made our own-great fun) in his
> Ooni woodfired pizza oven and it was bloody lovely.
>
> So much so that, though I don't want to buy a Ooni,( they ain't cheap) I
> understand that you can buy 'pizza stones' for barbies and I'm thinking of
> giving it a try .
>
> However the temperature in the Ooni was massive (400 deg C+ ;he has an
> infra red thermometer) and the pizzas were cooking in 90 seconds.
>
> I'm interested to see if a barbie can reach the appropriate temperature for
> a pizza stone,
>
> Any first-hand experiences or views very welcome. :wink: