For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:
> First barbecue was done several weeks ago - mainly cos I don’t have to
> clean the kitchen after cooking sausages or chicken legs etc.
>
> As for pizza, it’s been years I’ve fancied trying the BakerStone (or
> similar?) system. About 6 years ago I talked to a senior colleague of mine
> about the BakerStone - he was very skeptical - but decided to get one.
>
> It wasn’t perfect, and he had to improvise some stuff, but in the end he
> said it was the best thing he’d bought in years. His grand-kids had an
> entire birthday party around preparing pizza, which was basically making
> dough, then putting toppings on + papy baking the mini pizza.
>
> He said it was the cheapest + simplest young kids party he’d ever done,
> including when he was a parent!

What’s ‘ + papy baking’ ?
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:
> I suspect that papy = papi = grandpa = grandad etc.. :wink:

Ha! I was wondering if he discovered some wonder baking paper ('papyrus!!') which would allow the pizza to bake at those ludicrously high temperatures without incinerating the base and yet leaving the seafood topping unheated........

I guess just spread the seafood more thinly......................................... :lol:

But agreed the grankids thought slapping the pizzas out into rounds then shoving on the toppings was a hoot. Flour everywhere but squeals of laughter all round.

Memo to self: Stick to pepperoni next time.............................. :wink:

Or buy a Ooni....................................
Flyin'Dutch', OCB liked this
By PeteSpencer
lutonwho wrote:
> “Or buy a Ooni....................................“, Definitely buy an
> Ooni, the wood fired pizzas are amazing, and it is great fun.

My son has a wood burning Ooni and good fun it is indeed:

I still managed to incinerate one edge of my pizza though.

However as a lazy git, I found the tiny wood-burning area needed constant watching and topping up with small lumps of wood kindling which in turn needed chopping to just the right size.

If I were to stump up the (relative) megabucks for a Ooni I'm pretty sure I'd go for the gas-fired version. :roll:
By GrahamB
PeteSpencer wrote:

> However as a lazy git, I found the tiny wood-burning area needed constant watching
> and topping up with small lumps of wood kindling which in turn needed chopping to
> just the right size.
>

My daughter and SIL have a wood-pellet fired one. Much less hassle and very controllable, but a bit more pricey to run.
By skydriller
skydriller wrote:I like BBQ food but Im carp at BBQing, even though I have a traditional "French BBQ chimney". The last BBQ at my house was at the end of the summer 2019 when some Forumites flew in on the last day of the Fraduno and volunteered to do a BBQ... 8) :thumleft:

Regards, SD..

Major update : I have just accomplished a "Traditional BBQ" !!! :mrgreen:

Have to say that my GF/partner did all the marinade and meat/veg preparation, but I successfully managed to get the thing lit and actually control the cooking - though I think I prepped enough coals for a half dozen rather than the two of us.... :oops: however just right for the traditional BBQ prep beer... :wink:

And we sit here now on the terrace with a nice glass of Listrac Cru Artisinal 2015 ... :drunken:

I'm feeling pretty good... :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
By PeteSpencer
What took you so long? It's nearly August :lol:

Break Break Lamb racks chopped into original tiny chops are the D's Bs.

Break break break on the OP of pizzas: I bought a stainless steel 'Blaze box' Pizza attachment (£49) which comes with its own stone, hinged door with glass window and integral thermometer which actually sits on the barbie grill and means the whole barbie isn't raised to aluminium smelting temperatures. (will take 10-12 in pizzas)

Haven't tried it yet but will report back :roll:

By skydriller
PeteSpencer wrote:What took you so long? It's nearly August

The truth is as per my first post on here... I needed a push from my partner/GF to get me to "have a go"...it's not just "flick a switch and turn it on" but a whole fire building and coals "just right" process with the traditional "French chimney"...

And we are just about to open the cognac... :drunken:
(Watching the sun shrink behind the trees)

Regards, SD..
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:The truth is as per my first post on here... I needed a push from my partner/GF to get me to "have a go"...it's not just "flick a switch and turn it on" but a whole fire building and coals "just right" process with the traditional "French chimney"...

Or, as I did in Saucats that one time, apply avgas to a pile of coals, light with a long piece of card while standing well back, wait 15 mins and they're ready to go! :D
FWIW

Despite everyone saying how wonderful and easy they are I'm still getting to grips with the Ooni.

Impossible to roll out anything near a circle, we originally tried pulling the base into shape on the peel, before overloading it with toppings.

Firstly, this caused the base to stick to the peel, so that, as you try to get the thing off the peel and into the Ooni, whole olives roll straight off the top and into the flames, promptly followed by the cheese and tomato which congeals and burns under the flames and on the hottest part of the base.

So after a few failures my current technique is:

1 - Get the thing up temperature, I go with the 15 mins it says on the packing.

2 - DO NOT ASSEMBLE THE PIZZA ON THE PEEL. Whatever you do using flour and/or semolina to stop sticking, roll or stretch out the pizza on your work surface ensuring it is not sticking. Only add a small amount of topping (cut olives in half!!). Now with the base still free you should be able to slide it onto the peel quite easily and still in shape,

3 - Transfer the pizza to the Ooni, if it has slid easily onto the peel, it will slide easily off the peel and onto the stone.

4 - Start counting, and I turn the flames down so as not to burn the topping under the flames. After 30 seconds use the peel to get it out and twist it around, give it another few seconds, repeat as necessary, blowing on fingers and screaming 'gosh that's hot' until you find that despite your best efforts you've still blackened one edge.

5 - Remove cooked/burnt Pizza and pass to nearest and dearest for cutting up, put the flame back up to max to get some more heat in the stone, and then have a go at the next one...........

In essence I'm trying to keep the stone hot to ensure the underside cooks, and not have too much on top that would leave and uncooked soggy mess on the surface.

PS - This is for a simple gas fired one, heaven knows what it would be like trying to keep a fire going as well!!